Sprouting Pumpkins Now!!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sprouting Pumpkins Now!!!!

Ooops! I left the seeds from the second Halloween Pumpkin in the collander after washing, on the draining board, and they've sprouted!!

Is it worth potting some up in the greenhouse (unheated) and seeing whether they will survive? Or would it be better to pot them up and put onto the windowsill for the winter before planting out in the spring? Could this give us a head start next year, possibly meaning larger and more quantity of fruit, or am I merely dreaming?

As always,. any comments, advice, hints. tips or just general banter is much appreciated!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

I'm new to this as you know but you've got nothing to lose by giving it a go. I would put them on the window sill though just to keep them that bit warmer.
    Bex

Comment

Thanks Bex, thats what I thought, but Mr D said put them in his greenhouse (hes only just got it and hasnt grown anything yet, so wants to play with his new toy! lol!), so I think we'll try both, and see whether we get anywhere! At least we know there's nothing to loose and nothing ventured, nothing gained!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

I second Bex's post, I'm in the same position but with Mange Tout seed that kinda self seeded and was rescued before the chooks were allowed loose on the plot.

Comment

Hi Mrs D,

It will need heat as it is frost tender. Also if you put it in the house it may get to be a bit of a monster !! (ever seen little shop of Horrors Lol!!!)

Still as it's cost nowt, you won't loose much will you.
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Can you eat pumpkin sprouts like you can bean sprouts, pea sprouts and such like?

Comment

Cheers Nick! We'll give it a go! Cant wait to see the look of passers by's faces as they see monster pumpkin plants growing in our windows!

You never know, if they do ok in the house and then transplant well we may get a bumper pumpkin harvest next year and make it a regular thing, could start a trend methinks!
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Hello Mrs D, I don't want to be too pessimistic about the chances for your pumpkin seed , but as you say, give it a go. Plant them up, it's only a few pots of compost. Try them on the windowsill and in the greenhouse - what would the advantage be unless you're putting serious heating out there. Do let us know how you get on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Mrs Dobby View Post
                  Cheers Nick! We'll give it a go! Cant wait to see the look of passers by's faces as they see monster pumpkin plants growing in our windows!

You never know, if they do ok in the house and then transplant well we may get a bumper pumpkin harvest next year and make it a regular thing, could start a trend methinks!
                  And the neighbours will pass and say " Oooh, look at those lovely green curtains! LOL
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Either that or

" Have you seen thorse mucky buggers next door,
                    the window sills sor dirty they've got pumpkins growing on them"

Last edited by nick the grief; 07-11-2006, 08:30 PM.
                    ntg

Comment

PMSL at both those last 2 posts! Just read them out to Mr D in my best Monty Python voice, and he's now rolling round on the floor laughing his head off!

So, if they all survive we may have another glut to deal with next year, wonder if Pumpjin and Raspberry go well together!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

No reason why not Mrs D lol
                        Bright Blessings
                        Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Mrs D - somewhere Nick had a super idea for a little windowsill greenhouse - and showed the diagrams as well - maybe Nick can tell you where it was. DDL
                          Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

on my C drive

Click image for larger version

Name:	windowprop.JPG
Views:	3
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	2318109
                            Last edited by nick the grief; 08-11-2006, 07:11 PM.
                            ntg

Comment

Thanks DDL and Nick, that looks like just the ticket! Have to get my 'Blue Peter' head on to make some! Lol!
                              Blessings
                              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X