Thinning plums

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinning plums

Both of my Victoria plum trees are full of fruit - if just 25% come to full size, I shall be eating plums forever (and the trees will probably break some branches too)

How soon should I begin thinning? And do plums suffer from the 'June drop' like apples (I've not noticed it before, but I may just have not been paying attention )
    Growing in the Garden of England

I have never thinned fruit, some people say to and some say not to, i believe the tree will chuck them off if it wants to drop the fruit, they do the june drop themselves,

a recent university study has even shown that fruit and flowers on a newly planted tree has no effect on the root or branch development so its best to leave them to sort themselves out as well

If the branches start to droop i `maypole` the tree, by adding a long cane/stake in the , and run wires from the center pole to the drooping branches to suport them from above the tree
    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

My Vic has just about completed her drop, but she only dropped about 20% of fruitlets, although a third of the remainder look a bit too small for her to want to hang onto them for the full season.
      If you feel the need, remove damaged, crowded, small or mis-shapen fruits.
      I find that since my Vic is a lone tree and part-self-fertile, that after I've removed the quarter or so that get pest-damaged during the season, I get a good, regular crop every year.
      Sometimes, biennial flowering can result from simply too much blossom, regardless of whether you allow fruits to grow to maturity. I've experienced this myself, where I young fruit trees flowered so much that I de-fruited them within a few weeks of blossom time (apple, pear and plum). But they still didn't flower the next year.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X