Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squash/pumpkins

Hi all,

I have planted about 20 corgette 8 squash and three pumpkins, all doing really well, they have been in an unheated greenhouse since planting most about three inches tall and looking healthy, however I went out when I got home and they have all turned pale brown and look dead I thought it was the heat at the weekend but then I noticed that on the soil there seems to be a white layer, just woundered if anyone might know what this may be, are they prone to anything like this.

many thanks

Dave

p.s. is it too late to plant some new ones.

White layer sounds like mould. It won't kill them, but over-watering will.

Are you ventilating the greenhouse? It should be shaded and open on hot days now.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I think your plants may have been scorched Dave. My shading fell down off my greenhouse at the weekend and some of my plants are looking really unhappy now
      The mould probably isn't great, but the description you've given sounds more like scorch.

You can still sow some seeds I should think, they grow really quickly at this time of year. Start them off indoors, and get some shading on the greenhouse, even if it's just an old net curtain chucked over.

Just out of curiosity, why did you have 20 plants? We are a family of 5 and I only have 2

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
        Just out of curiosity, why did you have 20 plants? We are a family of 5 and I only have 2

Never heard of spares.. just in case I've been leaving mine outside during the day and in the cold greenhouse at night for a week or more now and all the older leaves look badly scorched / dead, but the new growth looks fine albeit a bit slow, I just with they'd grow a bit faster.
        Last edited by terrier; 27-05-2009, 09:51 PM.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

20 courgettes does seem a bit ott, its a pity you hadn't started chancing it with a few outside instead of all in one basket. Still not to late to sow some more. I sowed six a week ago and they are up and just growing their first true leaves, there is no stopping them this time of the year.

Ian

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X