Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb problem

Good morning everyone.
    Could somebody please point me in the right direction. I bought a rhubarb crown from a GC back in March.
    It went into a huge (and I do mean huge) pot filled with garden compost, soil and Harrington & Jessop composted manure (which I checked with them before use was free from aminopyralid) and I have kept it watered.
    My problem is that the damn thing is dying!!!
    I pushed my hand into the soil yesterday to check whether it was dry and it felt moist.
    However, I did notice that it has loads of little white, almost tiny threadlike, crawling things in the manure.
    Does anybody know what they are and what the treatment is please.
    I have done a search on here and also a general search on the computer but cannot find anything to match.
    Any help much appreciated.

Sounds like it is rotting and these are maggots eating it...bad news, I hope I'm not right.
    If you plant into too large a pot this can cause the plant to rot.
    If it is rot there will be a slimey, smelly area where the maggots are, if there is you could try to cut this off and remove it - take the whole crown out, shake the excess earth off and look for the rot, remove then repot into a smaller pot and keep it drier (not dried out). Good luck

Comment

Thanks Vicky. I'll have a look after lunch. Just sent the OH down there and told him to take his specs, but despite having them on he says he can't see anything!!
      I'm sure I didn't imagine them. (I hadn't even had a drink at that stage!).Sanjo

Comment

Why is it in a pot?
        I doubt it will survive in a pot.
        Check there are holes in the bottom.

Rhubarb needs a lot of space and nutriments.

If its dead PM your address and I will post you some Rhubarb seeds and you can grow some crowns...they grow very quicley.
        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Aw, thanks Nog, that is so kind of you.
          The reason it's in a pot is that I just ran out of room. It really is a big pot.
          It holds at least 75 litres of mixed home compost, manure and soil. There are drainage holes because before I put it in I researched it and knew that rhubarb does not like to be waterlogged.
          As I said in my ealier post I got my OH to go and check on the little white wigglies but he came back and said there weren't any!!
          Thinking to myself MEN! I went and checked for myself, taking my reading glasses as they really are tiny little ahem! pests.
          I found one!! and what looked like the same thing but slightly bigger and greyer, which jumped all over the soil.
          When I first saw them it followed a very hot dry spell. Yesterday, when we checked, followed heavy rain both overnight and into the early hours.
          I can only assume that they come to the surface when the top compost is dry.
          I have tried to research it on the net but obviosly without knowing what the pest is, I can't find a cure.
          Again, many thanks for your offer of seeds. I might take you up on it if I can't get this sorted. Best wishes Sanjo

Comment

Sounds like springtails (Onychiurus) to me which are pretty common in compost. As far as I'm aware they don't do any harm but it may be a sign that the compost is a tad too damp.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X