Help the tomatoes are taking over!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help the tomatoes are taking over!

Having spent most of yesterday filling hanging baskets with tumbling tomatoes, I thought that I might release enough space in the greenhouse to be able to finally pot up the aubergines. Poor little things have really outgrown their 3" pots and are desperate for more space.
    I swear the other, larger tomatoes grew while I was removing the tumbling toms. you would have thought that 18 plants out would allow a few more in but my toms are going mad. They are now so tall that I willl need to move them down to the bottom shelf as they are hitting the roof.
    The last 2 years I lost all my toms to blight just as they were starting to ripen so I am very nervous of moving these outside although they should be ok.....Any suggestions on tomato control would be welcomed

If your area is prone to blight you will be really hard pushed to grow tomatoes outside. You could try a blight resistant variety but I find that with tomatoes that is no garantee they will survive. You could spray with a copper based fungicide if blight is forecast but that will mean checking every day.

Ian

Comment

Thanks Ian, appreciate the advice. Everyone I know round here lost all their outdoor toms last year

Comment

wish my tomatos were as good as yours mine are taking a long time no trusses yet not very good at all

Comment

Last year was a particularly bad year for blight, fingers crossed if we get the nice hot summer that they are currently trying to tell us that we will have, then blight will not be so much of problem. In fact, last year was the first time I got hit by blight at home and even then I still managed to get a reasonable crop.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Fingers crossed for the good summer then

Comment

I am giving up growing outdoor toms ... I just have a half dozen plants this year, for greenhouse/patio growing
              All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Here's a pic of the monster toms in my greenhouse
                And one of the lovely hanging basket sticks my OH sweetly made to help house the tumbling toms
                Attached Files

Comment

I love all the hanging baskets. Beggar to water though
                  All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Not a problem as in the garden so a pleasant daily task. As everything else needs watering too it gets done in the evening if it hasn't rained, usually with a nice glass of something to help

Comment

Ah now! I supervise OH whilst I have the glass!
                      Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

That's an idea. He's pretty good.
                        I counted how many toms I still have in pots in the GH yesterday. 26!
                        Where am I going to put them all?!?!
                        Am now desperately looking for good homes for tomato plants

Comment

On the subject of blight, I came across an interesting American website recently while researching blight on tomatoes. It was about an area formerly famed for its tomatoes, which had been absolutely decimated; nobody was growing tomatoes anymore. What one clever bod discovered though was that growing tomatoes espalier fashion, with only one layer of leaves to dry off after rain, meant that the leaves dried off sufficiently quickly to greatly reduce the risk of infection by blight spores. So basically trimming leaves off the trusses to leave a plant looking denuded works well in not reducing yield (apparently the roots do most of the work once they get going) and reducing blight infection. The other thing that they started doing was putting up a wee strip of glass or polythene verandah above the plants to help keep direct rain off.
                          If you have a wall with wires, might work well to take some seedlings.
                          There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Thank you snohare.
                            That certainly sounds like it could be worth trying. Glad to hear they don't rely too heavily on their leaves too as when I went out at lunchtime today the strong gusts of wind had completely flattened my broadbeans and are doing their best to strip the leaves of my toms in baskets

Comment

Perhaps start planning what you're gonna do with all those toms?
                              Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X