codling moth in my apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• codling moth in my apples

Despite having a trap and sticky band around the trees I have found what I think is codling moth in my fruitlets. I noticed a bud of sap and a black line through them. I have cut off all those I could see . What can I do about it . I suppose it's to late this year but I need advice for this year and the future please . What spray can I use with the fruitlets on the tree and what do I do in the winter ready for next year . Can I buy these sprays in Wilkinsons as we are a long way from a garden centre.

It has two chances , up or down.

Hanging pherormone traps are generally available that attract the male moths when they are flying. These traps offer limited protection but are best used as an indicator of when the moths are flying and preparing to lay eggs on your proto-apples. It is only then that spray against the moths is effective. At least you can be specific about the timing of the spray, thus limiting the impact of the chemicals on beneficial insects.

Comment

Which variety are you growing and how old is it?
      Some varieties are badly troubled by maggots and younger trees tend to produce so few fruits that the pests get them all. Older trees produce enough fruits to allow the pests to take a fair portion.

The problem with spraying is that some sprays will kill beneficial insects (ladybirds, hoverflies, lacewings, parasitic wasps, earwigs) al of which may attack the various pests on an apple tree.

I believe that there is a bacterial or viral method of attack

My approach is to:

Remove damaged fruitlets a week or two after seeing them.
      Remove fallen apples immediately, before larvae get the chance to leave the apple and hide in the ground.
      Prevent overcrowded branches and overcrowded fruits (the moths prefer more shady and congested).
      Grow a "decoy" tree, to divert their attention.

Apparently, from mine and others observations, maggots seem to prefer apples with the following characteristics:

Already damaged (leaving damaged apples for a week seems to attract more maggots into the same apple). Presumably they follow the "scent" of the damaged apple. The larva need some way to "home-in" on their food, so why not by smell?

Apples with softer skins (more easily eaten)

Larger, faster-growing apples (more food and presumably give off more "scent")

Large bunches of apples (more scent?)

Mid-season apples

Congested, tangled, shady branches

Here is a link to some good suggestions on how to deal with codling moth, which saves having to type it all out! :

> > Click < <

Comment

The one most affected is " discovery " . the tree is only in it's 2nd summer . It's only 5ft tall . I have traps and sticky band . I'm sure that the 3 caterpillers I picked off a couple of weeks ago were codling moth now . I am searching the tree for eggs or anything else I can do to prevent them getting into every apple . Thanks for the link , I'm still hopefull that someone in the UK can recommend a spray that I can buy localy that will work if I use it at the right time .

It has two chances , up or down.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
        Working...
        X