Chillies are stuck

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chillies are stuck

I finally managed to get some lemon drop chillis to germinate, after quite a few weeks of thinking they'd had it [my mistake was probably not doing it in the house, but expecting them to cope with the greenhouse]. They poked their heads up and grew about an inch, have about 6 leaves each now but are tiny tiny plants.
    Is it worth bringing them in and keeping them there?
    Do they growth spurt or grow slowly anyway? Is there anything I can do to cheer them up?

My Lemon Drops are the poorest of the bunch - little titchy things. This is my first year of growing chillis properly and I'm guessing they just need some more sun and warmth.

Comment

Personally, I'd bring them in if you want consistent growth, at least until night temps are staying above a minimum of at least 10ºc. Mine are in the greenhouse, but so is a heater You are further south than me though, so I don't know what sort of night temps you're getting? Have you a max/min thermometer?

Comment

I've tried leaving half the chilli plants in the cold greenhouse and half of them I've brought in to a warm room in the house. The ones in the warmth are now, after a couple of weeks, noticibly bigger. Nightime temps in the greenhouse are about 6 deg.
        I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

I brought the biggest in, that's all I can get away with at the mo now we have a greenhouse - and it is flowering [well, it has 3 flower buds but they haven't opened yet].

Boring waiting innit!!!

Comment

Originally posted by terrier View Post
            I've tried leaving half the chilli plants in the cold greenhouse and half of them I've brought in to a warm room in the house. The ones in the warmth are now, after a couple of weeks, noticibly bigger. Nightime temps in the greenhouse are about 6 deg.
            I'm going to try this tomorrow.

Comment

Into the house it is then...thanks all, poor little things, they're probably cursing me in spanish

Comment

Chillis will germinate and grow to a few inches tall and then just sit there until they are happy with the conditions - usually temperature related. They can sit around for weeks not going anywhere then all of a sudden they start to grow again. Just be patient and remember they have a long season and will produce well into the autumn by which time you'll be wondering what to do with all those chillis.

Comment

I was just going to say that Rana! In September you will be asking us how to preserve them! Don't worry chillis are tough!
                  Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

Hi
                    I've grown Lemon Drop Chillis for 3 years now and they have to stay in my unheated greenhouse so are always still quite small at this time of year. But don't fret, as long as they are healthy little plants they will romp away, they've never failed me yet!
                    Sue

Comment

I'm getting quite impatient with my chillies too, but then realised it has only been spring for a fortnight.
                      Patience, grasshopper.
                      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

I tend to compare my chillies with my toms and they always look runty. Then I remember that the toms will end up on the ceiling if I let them and the chllies will probably only come to 2 ft high. Doesn't seem too bad then!
                        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by rana View Post
                          Chillis will germinate and grow to a few inches tall and then just sit there until they are happy with the conditions - usually temperature related. They can sit around for weeks not going anywhere then all of a sudden they start to grow again. Just be patient and remember they have a long season and will produce well into the autumn by which time you'll be wondering what to do with all those chillis.
                          Exactly, thats one of the problems of growing certain types of chillis here in the UK. Because they will wait for the right conditions it often means the growing season here is inadequate. You'll get chillis but they'll be half the size you'd get in the tropics. My Habs and rocotos are always a dissapointment.

Comment

Originally posted by hsthst View Post
                            the growing season here is inadequate. .
                            How very dare you say my chillies are inadequate?

* covers their ears

I grow lots and lots, they are superb, hot and spicy and, dried, last me all year. So there.
                            All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                              I tend to compare my chillies with my toms and they always look runty. Then I remember that the toms will end up on the ceiling if I let them and the chllies will probably only come to 2 ft high. Doesn't seem too bad then!
                              Love your post on your website about basil. I snap up any 75% off ( 20p) from Summerfield and plant them up that day. They just continue to grow all summer producing yield after yield. You take it one step further.........Basil for free. I've just been out to take out 4 stalks and put them in water!!! No more stalking the live herb section waiting for the girl with the reduction sticker gun for me!!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X