Heirloom Tomatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heirloom Tomatoes

Morning everyone from another wet morning in Aberdeen.

Has anyone ever grown Heirloom tomatoes?

I watch the american home cook Ina Garten quite a lot and she sings the praises of these fruits which are grown in The Hamptons, where she lives. I have been looking at our rare breed and endangered seeds sections and there are heirloom tomatoes listed.

Anyone grown any of these at all? any problems encountered? -
    Attia of the julii

Lots of us do. No problems as yet, that other tomatoes don't have.

What sort of problems are you thinking of?

Comment

Heirloom tomatoes were bred by our forefathers.......usually for taste.

They may have their own little idiosyncracies but should always have good taste!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

How do you define an heirloom tomato?? I do believe that alicante and tigrella were grown by the victorians but does that make them heirloom. I agree with Snadger that generally older varieties were bred for flavour and reliability.

Ian

Comment

Hi Shirley

I am growing Hillbilly and Bloody Butcher that I took back from the States along with lots of other interesting heirloom toms I received in swaps from lovely grapes.

I only started them off a couple of weeks ago but they are doing well so far. I'll bring them on a bit but you can have a couple to try the next time I see you if you want?

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry
            How do you define an heirloom tomato?? I do believe that alicante and tigrella were grown by the victorians but does that make them heirloom...
            Why doesn't it?
            To see a world in a grain of sand
            And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

An heirloom is an antique that has been passed down through the generations............so I would think a variety that is still about after 70 years would be classed as an heirloom?
              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Anything your Dad grew (or if you're younger than me - your Grandad!)
                Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I grew Paul Robeson tomatoes last year and they were the best tasting tomatoes I have ever eaten. They also made great chutney and pasta sauce. They were as easy to grow as any other tomato in my experience. I'm also growing Black Pineapple and German Red Strawberry this year, all heirlooms.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X