Supports for French beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Supports for French beans

What kind of support do I need to provide for French beans (climbers)?

Do I need to build some kind of bamboo frame, or can I just stick canes in the ground and allow the beans to climb up it? If it's the latter, I'm worried that the weight of the plant will be too much for the cane.

If I need a frame, how do I build one?

The seed packet tells me that they will grow to around 5ft.

Beans will be fine with a cane, I grew 4 to each one last year and they were fine.

How many are you planning to grow?

Comment

I always grow mine up a wigwam and the varieties I'm growing (Blahilde, Blue Lake and Cherokee Trail of Tears) grow to over 6' before I nip out the growing tip. I really do love French beans.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
        Beans will be fine with a cane, I grew 4 to each one last year and they were fine.

How many are you planning to grow?

I'm not sure how many to plant- I have 140 Blue Lake seeds.

I was thinking maybe 5 plants up a circular wigwam......? Is that too many/too few?

Comment

Check your spacing.
          My packet says plant them 9-12" apart.
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
            Check your spacing.
            Mine says similar, but I've read conflicting spacings online. Some say as little as 4"......

I think I'll play it safe and go for the instructions on the packet.

Comment

Originally posted by Two_Sheds View Post
              Check your spacing.
              I grow two plants up each cane in the wigwam and the canes are about 10" (max, probably some closer) apart at the base and almost always get a great crop.

Some of us live in the past, always talking about back then. Some of us live in the future, always planning what we are going to do. And, then there are those, who neither look behind or ahead, but just enjoy the moment of right now.

Which one are you and is it how you want to be?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X