Dual Cropping - following potatoes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dual Cropping - following potatoes

i've read the dual cropping message elsewhere but need more ideas to help plan ahead - i'm growing on a 3 bed rotation

i have a large bed full of spuds - next summer i'll be growing peas / lettuce / sweetcorn - the spuds will be dug up between end of june and end of july - i need something to grow over the winter that i can plant out as soon as possible after the spuds come up and that will be harvested before the peas / sweetcorn etc are planted next year

the list so far is:
    winter cabbage - plant out late september
    cauliflower (all year round) - plant out march (harvest jun/jul)
    broad beans (aquadulce claudia) - sow october
    leeks - plant out jun/jul
    winter onions - plant out september?

leeks are the only thing that can go straight in when the spuds come up - anything else means unused ground for a couple of months - but if i fill the bed with leeks, that'll be 170 leeks

i could plant out some cauliflowers in july, harvest late winter, but should i? that bed was used for brassicas last year ....

could i grow another batch of spuds in the same plot?

or should i leave the ground unused for a couple of months?

any other ideas??
    Last edited by Farmer_Gyles; 11-05-2009, 11:23 AM.
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

dwarf french beans? Some beetroot for baby roots? (as catch crops before you put in something else?)
    Last edited by lainey lou; 11-05-2009, 11:43 AM.
    Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I follow my early spuds with pumpkins.
      All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Ooh, I hadn't thought about what I would put in when the spuds came out - so used to growing them in buckets
        Happy Gardening,
        Shirley

Comment

I'd plant the bed with the leeks, and leave space for the over-wintering onions. You could put a quick crop of salads in until you're ready to plant the onions. Then you have all the alliums in the same place. That's what I'll be putting in my spud bed anyway

Comment

Lambs lettuce is always useful..but won't take up much of the space!!!
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

some good ideas there!
              i'm only growing a few pumpkins, so they can join the leeks - and if i can plant lettuce and similar there, it means i get more room elsewhere to sow more peas
              i like beetroot, but only in small doses and already got a row (more than enough!) growing in another bed - and still got 4 pounds of beans from last year in the freezer!

so would i be right in thinking lettuce is something i can grow anywhere i have space and doesn't really need to be part of a rotation??
              http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X