Can I grow a pumpkin in a bucket?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I grow a pumpkin in a bucket?

Hi everyone - can I grow a pumpkin in a 14 litre bucket? I do not have enough space in the ground and my grandchildren are desperate to grow a pumpkin each for Halloween.
    Granny on the Game in Sheffield

I think a 14 litre bucket might be a little bit small to grow pumpkins in, I remember digging up my pumpkin(Hundredweight) plants last winter & the roots seem to spread pretty far deep, but it depends on the variety of pumpkins maybe a smaller variety of pumpkin might grow in it like becky.
    I never tried doing this but its worth a shot
    I am thinking about planting cobnut F1 squash in buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by Hank_Hill View Post
      I think a 14 litre bucket might be a little bit small to grow pumpkins in, I remember digging up my pumpkin(Hundredweight) plants last winter & the roots seem to spread pretty far deep, but it depends on the variety of pumpkins maybe a smaller variety of pumpkin might grow in it like becky.
      I never tried doing this but its worth a shot
      I am thinking about planting cobnut F1 squash in buckets.
      Thanks Hank, oh dear, looks like I'll have to dig up even more lawn! What sort of spread should I account for? Congratulations on your hundredweight pumpkin, that would have made a beacon, not a lantern!

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
        Thanks Hank, oh dear, looks like I'll have to dig up even more lawn! What sort of spread should I account for? Congratulations on your hundredweight pumpkin, that would have made a beacon, not a lantern!
        Pumpkins need at least 1mx1m per plant and do very well if planted on rotten manure or compost will do, beware of slugs they nearly destroyed my seedlings last year! Sadly the few pumpkins I got were barely the size of lanterns, we got a very bad summer last year

Comment

For a big pumpkin you need a ton of manure per plant.

The spread for about 30 feet.

To be honest I do not think it will fruit in a tub.
          My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

A Ton of Pongy Stuff?!!!

No way am I dumping a ton of the ol' well rotted in my chosen pumpkin patch (right in front of my livingroom window) so I think a rethink is called for.

Jules
            Attached Files
            Last edited by julesapple; 11-05-2009, 10:58 AM.
            Jules

Coffee. Garden. Coffee. Does a good morning need anything else?

♥ Nutter in a Million & Royal Nutter by Appointment to HRH VC ♥

Althoughts - The New Blog (updated with bridges)

Comment

Can you not sow the seeds for your grandchildren and then give them to them to put in their own garden?
              Sneaky me lol,

Comment

Originally posted by janeyo View Post
                Can you not sow the seeds for your grandchildren and then give them to them to put in their own garden?
                Sneaky me lol,
                Unfortunately they have a designer patio and my daughter would be horrified at the thought of container vegetables on it, so they only garden when they come to me! Besides, I think I'm kind of using them as an excuse to grow pumpkins .......

Comment

Do you have a compost bin? I've read about people growing them straight in that!

Comment

Originally posted by tamsin View Post
                    Do you have a compost bin? I've read about people growing them straight in that!
                    Only the one Tamsin and I'm going to have to relocate and turn it. Having said that, I wonder if I turn it and leave it on the surface of the lawn, cover with the contents of a growbag, I could grow them in it then? Musing along, I'll get there in the end!

Comment

Well now I've really got to get my finger out (or perhaps better, a spade) because after only a few days the pumpkin seeds are up, fat and healthy.

Comment

Originally posted by Florence Fennel View Post
                        Only the one Tamsin and I'm going to have to relocate and turn it. Having said that, I wonder if I turn it and leave it on the surface of the lawn, cover with the contents of a growbag, I could grow them in it then? Musing along, I'll get there in the end!
                        I've read and heard that growing a pumpkin directly on a compost heap works great - so it looks like your idea is the way to go.
                        My hopes are not always realized but I always hope (Ovid)

www.fransverse.blogspot.com

www.franscription.blogspot.com

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X