Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Garlic

Hi Folks

I found and old Garlic Bulb at the back of the cupboard about a month ago that was starting to sprout so i split the cloves and poped them in some pots.

Was wondering if anyone thinks they will grow to full bulbs again... New to the GYO scene so not sure if i did right although they look to be doing very well at the moment

Any advice greatly recieved

Cheers
    John
    Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Hi John,

That's the way to plant garlic alright. It may be a bit late in the season for planting, but fingers crossed they will grow away happily! Some people say that garlic needs a cold spell before it grows so that it can split into separate bulbs, otherwise you end up with one enormous mega clove comprising the whole garlic head. That's why it is planted usually in the autumn or winter. It will be interesting to see if your ones split without a cold spell. A mega garlic clove would be cool for it's unusual nature, but you may want to look up a few garlic-heavy recipes so it doesn't go to waste!

Margaret

Comment

I don't see why not! I think alot of people plant sprouting store bought garlic with pretty regular sucess. One of the three bulbs I planted myself was an unloved bulb I found behind the cupboard, and its about 5" up now. I have heard that they resent being planted in heavy clay-ey soils, so check the soil where you're planning to plant them.
      The Impulsive Gardener

www.theimpulsivegardener.com

Chelsea Uribe Garden Design www.chelseauribe.com

Comment

Hi

Just planted them in large pots of multipurpose compost and they are about 6-8 inches high at the moment when will i know when the are ready to lift

John
        Cheers .... John

Web link to our Allotment website http://lawsonsallotment.btck.co.uk/

PS my plot is 9 shown on the Plot Holders Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by johninblackpool View Post
          Hi

Just planted them in large pots of multipurpose compost and they are about 6-8 inches high at the moment when will i know when the are ready to lift

John
          Funnily enough the same question was asked on another thread today
          There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
          Working...
          X