Greek Beetroot?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greek Beetroot?

I have been looking through all my seed catalogues in the hope I would find the type of beetroot I've eaten in Greece. It's not my favourite vegetable although I know its very good for you, so am trying to get to like it. The type I remember from delicious Greek meals was served as a starter, it was more of a lilac colour, and had a different texture to our blood red kind and I thought it tasted much nicer.
    Anyone know what type it is?
    Sue

That sounds lovely Sue, unfortunately I am not able to enlighten you. Hope you find out in time to hunt down some seeds for next year.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

My Mum lives in Corfu, and is visiting this week (1st time I'll have seen her in 3 years!), she does a little gardening, so I'll ask her if she knows, if you'd like Sue?
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Mrs Dobby
        That's very kind, I'd love to know and see if I can find some seed, it was very tasty.
        Will look out for you post.
        best wishes
        Sue

Comment

I don't know if this will help Sue,

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep.../beetroot8.htm
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Enjoy your visit from your Mum Mrs Dobby. I hope it's just great for you.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Beetroot is lovely as long as you don't soak it in crude vinegar. Try boiling in the skins, peel, cut into quarters and roast with quartered onions maybe with a splash of oil and balsamic vinegar. Or boil, peel, chop into creme fraiche with some dill perhaps for a nice beetroot salad.

Comment

Nick
                So many beetroot! thanks for the link, a man with a passion...
                The only two that look possible are Chioggia which can cook to a pink colour and Devoy which is a heritage variety with dark pink flesh. I will see if Mrs Dobby's Mum can come up with the answer, although I 'm sure beetroot varieties will not be at the top of her list when she's come to visit the family.
                Have a good time Mrs Dobby.
                best wishes
                Sue

Comment

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                  Nick
                  So many beetroot! thanks for the link, a man with a passion...Sue
                  Some would say Anorak I had a look at the rest of his site - a clever bod without a doubt Hope you get what your after
                  ntg
                  Never be afraid to try something new.
                  Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
                  A large group of professionals built the Titanic
                  ==================================================

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    Enjoy your visit from your Mum Mrs Dobby. I hope it's just great for you.
                    Thanks Alice, I hope so too! Still no contact with her tho since Thursday, so no idea when she's arriving!

Originally posted by Sue View Post
                    Nick
                    So many beetroot! thanks for the link, a man with a passion...
                    The only two that look possible are Chioggia which can cook to a pink colour and Devoy which is a heritage variety with dark pink flesh. I will see if Mrs Dobby's Mum can come up with the answer, although I 'm sure beetroot varieties will not be at the top of her list when she's come to visit the family.
                    Have a good time Mrs Dobby.
                    best wishes
                    Sue
                    Thanks Sue, I will! I'll ask her, I know she does a bit of veg growing, just not sure whether she will know which variety of beet it is, but worth asking! Her Greek boyfriend is coming with her, so it is possible that he may know, just have to wait and see!
                    Blessings
                    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

Sue, I asked my Mum about your beetroot, she said she hadnt seen any lilac coloured one, but had tried some white beetroot, which seems to be used quite readily in restauraunt in Corfu. She wasnt sure of the name, but is going to try and email it to me after asking a few friends when she gets home! Dunno how long it may be before I get you an answer, but hopefully we will be able to get one eventually! Hope this is ok!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Mrs Dobby
                        You are kind, I've seen white beetroot available, perhaps I should have a go at growing this and some of the Chioggia next year and see what happens. It's always fun to experiment
                        Hope you had/have a great time together.
                        best wishes
                        Sue

Comment

I grew Chioggia, Golden Globe and one of the traditional red varieties, both the Chioggia and GGlobe had a much milder taste, the rings on the Chioggia look great too.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X