Purple Sprouting Broccoli flowering

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Purple Sprouting Broccoli flowering

Quick question - once PSB has started flowering (yellow flowers) is it past harvesting? Last week we got some lovely PSB and it was delicious, then I didn't manage to get to the plot for a week or so and now it is flowering - I am gutted!

I have been waiting for this crop for a FULL YEAR and have had two handfulls off it before this. What a waste!

Please somebody tell me there is a way to stop it from going to seed!!! I have today cut off all the stems which are flowering - am I going to get any more edible sprouts from it or should I call it a day, pull it up and harvest quicker next year?

Thanks, Kris

it's done for this year.
    You need to keep picking it for it to produce more shoots, but even so it won't keep going forever.

for next year, try growing an early variety and a late variety to extend the season.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Hi Rainbowminx. I agree with Two Sheds. You have to pick PSB whether you need it or not! Once even one stem flowers, that's your lot unfortunately. Our friends benefit from ours as we give bagsful away rather than risk it going to seed. It freezes quite well too. Cheers.
      I'd give up chocolate but I'm no quitter!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X