Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can my tomatoes go in the unheated greenhouse yet?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can my tomatoes go in the unheated greenhouse yet?

The 12 Shirley tomatoes I've grown are now 20" tall and really could do with going in the gh, but I'm wondering if I should hang fire for another week or so as it was 5 degrees in there last night.

I've also bought some Morrisons flower buckets to cut the bottoms off and place in the grow bags. Anyone know how much I should cut off the bottom? Thinking maybe leaving 10" of pot will do, as I have the Tomorite giant grow bags which are maybe two or three times the thickness of a standard bag.

Mine have been in my unheated greenhouse for over a month now.... they should be fine.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

My tomatoes have been in the unheated greenhouse since potted on from seedlings, have popped 9 in grow bags last weekend and I'm keeping some in pots until I've found room for them outside. Mine are Shirleys too and are doing fine out there

I'd harden them off for a couple of days, then just pop them out
      Noob Gardening Blog http://bintgarden.blogspot.com updated 15th January

Comment

I'm hardening off my lot outside after germinating and growing on in an unheated GH hoping to pot and set 'em off in another week
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Oop north it''s till occasionally cold at night so I switch on my paraffin heater on cold nights. Nothing tender stays out at night until mid May: we have had snow in June before!

Those south of the Trent are softies...:-)

Comment

Ooh it's the Norf sarf divide again
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

Only you know your local conditions Rodofgod but I would think you could put your tomatoes out there now. Put a fleece veil over them at night if you are worried and if you don't have time to take it off in the morning don't worry - they will be fine.

As to your flower pot question - well it's up to whatever theory you are working to.
              Tomatoes will be fine in standard growbags. I don't like them. Find it hard to judge watering etc. But they work for other people.
              You have the giant grow bags. Never tried them but they should be super duper by themselves.
              The Morrison pots on their own should be fine for tomatoes.
              But if you want to put the Morrison pots in the giant grow bags then you only need to take the bottom off.
              I think you're going for belt and braces.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

IMO you'd be better off putting the gro-bag compost in the Morrisons pots and chucking the bags away. As Alice says it is difficult to judge watering with gro-bags and the damp plastic attracts slugs.

On the tomato front why not put half out and keep half back (5C is pretty damn cold for a tomato).

Comment

Must admit..I'm just up the road and mine have been in an unheated greeenhouse for about 3 weeks! I always was a bit of a gambler though!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

I'm in Argyll, where it's known to be a bit chilly, and my toms, Shirley, Big Boy, Gardeners' Delight and Golden Cherry, have been in my unheated GH for four weeks and are thriving.
                    You'd need a really hard frost to take the inside temp down low enough to harm your plants, and you can always fleece them if one is forecast. Good luck!

Comment

Mine have been in an unheated greenhouse since begining of April & doing really well, just make sure they do not dry out.

Comment

I have a French Foreign Leagon attutide to plants "Grow or die" They get started in the heated green house but once the first true set of leaves show they get put in the cold house. Then its up to them.
                        My phone has more Processing power than the Computers NASA used to fake the Moon Landings

Comment

Originally posted by NOG View Post
                          I have a French Foreign Leagon attutide to plants "Grow or die" They get started in the heated green house but once the first true set of leaves show they get put in the cold house. Then its up to them.
                          Yep I'm a bit like that. Mine have been outside for the past 3 weeks along with the peppers. Supposed to be about 3c tonight but they're in their final pots so will have to see what tomorrow brings.
                          AKA Angie

Comment

Put six of them into the greenhouse this afternoon. Will put the other 6 in there next week sometime.

Comment

Just make sure you put some holes in your Morrisons buckets for drainage.
                              I would do what others on here suggested.
                              Put the soil from your growbags in the buckets and the buckets should be plenty big for your plants.

And when your back stops aching,
                              And your hands begin to harden.
                              You will find yourself a partner,
                              In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X