Height of hestia runner beans .

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Height of hestia runner beans .

Has anyone on here grown these before and can tell me the approx height they grow too . I have planted some in hanging baskets as they are dwarf and I thought they would be ok . I have some that are already 2 ft high . Will they stop soon .

It has two chances , up or down.

Yes Divvy, and don't worry about their height. They will just droop and hang over the edge of the basket or pot. Hope you get lots of lovely beans - and some great flowers.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

ah was wondering about this myself putting mine in big pots this weekend, should be ok can always shove them in garage if weather looks ifffy.

Comment

Thanks Alice . I was worried as the ones on the seed pkt only look about 1 1/2 ft high and bushy . I wondered if i should pinch the ends out when they get to 2 ft .

Comment

Will they need tying to a stake? I am trying them for the first time this year.

Comment

In the pic on the packet they look like they don't need anything to hold them up. They don't look as long as mine . I think I will put them outside this weekend during the day instead of the green house maybe thats what is doing it .

Comment

on this subject, my hestia beans are quite tall also, much more than on the packet...and one seems to have nearly broken its growing tip my question is if the growing tip is bent and breaks, is this the end for the bean?? sorry if this is a daft question!
              "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

The Hestia beans we sowed earlier last month shot away and were about 2' high so the Mrs put a small cane in and rested them on it. They're in the greenhouse now, and the lower leaves have gone all limp and have white patches all over them. Any idea what's going on there?? Too cold maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by deezyb View Post
                  on this subject, my hestia beans are quite tall also, much more than on the packet...and one seems to have nearly broken its growing tip my question is if the growing tip is bent and breaks, is this the end for the bean?? sorry if this is a daft question!
                  No, definitely not the end - just a different beginning... When you break the apical bud of a plant you release apical dominance over side shoots - so you'll find side shoots start growing out and take over - just be a bit more bushy which is probably a good thing for a dwarf runner bean...

Comment

Originally posted by rodofgod76 View Post
                    The Hestia beans we sowed earlier last month shot away and were about 2' high so the Mrs put a small cane in and rested them on it. They're in the greenhouse now, and the lower leaves have gone all limp and have white patches all over them. Any idea what's going on there?? Too cold maybe?
                    Is your greenhouse heated overnight? If not, then yes, they'll be too cold... Try wrapping the plants with fleece, or old net curtains or something overnight to protect them a bit. It'll still be dropping below 5c overnight for a couple of weeks yet where you are.

Comment

Originally posted by GardeningMike View Post
                      No, definitely not the end - just a different beginning... When you break the apical bud of a plant you release apical dominance over side shoots - so you'll find side shoots start growing out and take over - just be a bit more bushy which is probably a good thing for a dwarf runner bean...
                      Thanks Mike - I was a tad worried, cos they look really healthy! I can breathe easy now
                      "A cat sees no good reason why it should obey another animal, even if it does stand on two legs."

Comment

Originally posted by SarzWix View Post
                        Is your greenhouse heated overnight? If not, then yes, they'll be too cold... Try wrapping the plants with fleece, or old net curtains or something overnight to protect them a bit. It'll still be dropping below 5c overnight for a couple of weeks yet where you are.
                        Errrr no, the greenhouse is not heated overnight. There's five Hestia bean plants in there, 3 of them are monsters compared to the other two, and it's the 3 monsters that have been affected. The other two are fine. Should I ditch the affected ones? The tops of them look healthy, but the bottom leaves look dead and many others have white patches all over.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X