Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A dumb question about potatoes

Hi everyone,

I'm new to growing my own veg but getting deeply entrenched thanks to the inspiration from GYO.

Quick, and probably really stupid question...I am growing potatoes in a compost bag, the shoots came through pretty quickly and now are quite established, should I have earthed them up right away?? Is it to late now, I guess the largest is a couple of inches tall but coming on very quickly.

Sorry if it is a really obvious question but I know people here have brilliant knowledge.

Thanks

Laura xxx

Not too late at all - and not a dumb question - if you don't ask, you'll never know.
    You can earth them up now if you wish - it is a continual process - evry time your shoots get about two - three inches above the compost, throw some more on.
    Rat

British by birth
    Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
    http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

You're doing fine Laura.

The shoots you have need to be protected from any hard frost with fleece, straw etc but you don't need to earth up until the shoots are perhaps 8 inches tall and then only cover half their height . Continue until your bag is full.

However some people choose to use compost or earth instead of fleece or straw to protect from frost and they earth up early over all the shoots. IMHO this deprives the plant of beneficial sunlight.

Later in the season the plant will produce roots in the earthed up part but not until perhaps 12 to 16 weeks after the seed potato was planted. This means there is little gain for early potatoes which are harvested before then.

You must, however, make sure that all the tubers growing are kept out of the light and earthing up is a good way to do this.

I should add there are some varients to my method used by growers and if their method works for them then it is just as valid as mine and I wouldn't disagree with them!
      Last edited by teakdesk; 29-04-2009, 11:11 PM.
      The proof of the growing is in the eating.
      Leave Rotten Fruit.
      Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
      Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
      Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

Originally posted by teakdesk View Post
        You're doing fine Laura.

I should add there are some varients to my method used by growers and if their method works for them then it is just as valid as mine and I wouldn't disagree with them!
        Different strokes for different folks -no right or wrong way - I planted 250kg of tatties this year - all by an old fergie planter so all are earthed up at planting time.
        I have planted about 200 or so tatties in the various other gardenss I grow in and these will be earthed up by draw hoe each week
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks

Wow thanks for such quick and informed responses. I was a bit timid posting on here, been lurking quite a while and reading others' posts but I feel bolder posting as well as tackling my veg now so thanks.

Comment

Rat, yes I know from posts you have made that you both do things differently to me and have way, way more experience than me.

Growing is all about finding a method that fits your lifestyle/capabilities with a crop you are happy with.

I normally grow with heavy black plastic over the tubers and cut holes in once the haulms emerge and then forget about them as I find earthing up tedious and it does nothing good for my back!!!

I generally do a few containers of spuds that I intend to earth up but forget to do it and just end up covering the tubers with compost late on. This year I've filled all the containers when planting to see what happens!!

My only worry is frost but last forecast frost is early May and as we are close to sea level I've never known a significant one after mid April.

Fingers and toes crossed!!
            The proof of the growing is in the eating.
            Leave Rotten Fruit.
            Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Potasium - potash.
            Autant de têtes, autant d'avis!!!!!
            Il n'est si méchant pot qui ne trouve son couvercle.

Comment

I grow mine in pots and potato planters, whenever the leaves poke above teh level of compost i add a bit more to cover them until the level is an inch or two below top of pot/bag. Then I just leave them.

oh, and water them regularly of course!
              Last edited by hamsterqueen; 30-04-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

I also earth up my potatoes when the shoots are a few inches above soil- mine are maincrop so i do think it's worth doing for these kind.
                My Album, Progress so Far: -
                http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ss-so-far.html

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X