Moving Butternuts

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Butternuts

I have 2 butternut plants that have done very little all year, now they havefinally decided to grow & have several tiny fruits. Will it be possible to dig them up & replant them in the greenhouse as I don't think I will see an edible crop if I leave them on the lottie
    Lets teach kids to cook.

I don't think that you have anything to loose by trying to replant them. So give it a go.
    [

Comment

As LJ says, its worth trying! I'd suggest a good watering about an hour before moving them, to minimise shock, and then dig our as large a root ball as you can and move it carefully, keeping it supported as best you can and then getting it replanted asap! Good luck Kentish Girl!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
      Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
      Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
      On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Certainly won't be a problem with the watering as its rained almost solid this week

Supposed to be quite cold tonight tho +5 hopefully they will be ok
        Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

Good idea! In fact thanks for the inspiration. I'm going to give it a go too.

Comment

we'll have to compare results
            Lets teach kids to cook.

Comment

Originally posted by kentish girl View Post
              we'll have to compare results
              OK. Will do.

Comment

You can try Kentish girl. I've certainly grown and moved things that the books said would be impossible. I'm just worried that at this time we could be running out of light. The temperatures are certainly still good here, but the light is fading. Maybe in Kent it is still good. Go for it and let us know how you get on.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

A similiar problem but havenot got a greenhouse. Have got fruit though but only about 6 inches long and not growing any bigger.Are these edible?

Comment

I've only got a titchy plastic thing and no direct Sun on the garden now but the beloved offspring has just moved out. That room gets loads of bright light from huge windows so I'm going to put a big table or whatever there and use it as an impromptu greenhouse area. I'm wondering just how big I need to have the containers though. I've got some bucket sized ones but perhaps it needs to be something bigger. Dunno.

Comment

Bucket size should be fine Pickledtink. I grew mine in 12" pots and they did well.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                        Bucket size should be fine Pickledtink. I grew mine in 12" pots and they did well.
                        Really? Wow! My outdoor monsters have taken over vast areas. I had a good look at mine today and they are so huge and sprawling it'll be some job. Some have definitely rooted along the sprawl so I'll look for a healthy offsprint and try digging a few out.
                        I must say this climate change has encouraged me to try keeping some things growing which normally we'd expect to just grow seasonally in UK.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X