pumpkin recipies

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pumpkin recipies

Hi there, I was wondering if anyone has got any good recipes for pumpkins? I've got one for soup but there is only so much pukmpkin soup one can eat Can you make sweets out of them?

I don't know about sweets Crazy Chickie but there is a selection of recipes under Mrs Dobby's pumpkin recipes on Season to Taste.

Welcome to the vine by the way. Bit of a madhouse here but fun and there's lots to learn.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Pumpkin Korma

(serves 4)
      4tbsp oil
      0.5tsp onion seeds
      4 curry leaves
      2 chopped onions
      500g /1lb peeled and deseeded pumpkin, cut in to 1" cubes
      150ml natural yogurt
      1cm / 0.5" root ginger, grated
      2 crushed cloves of garlic
      125g / 4oz ground almonds
      1-2 chopped chillis (according to taste)
      0.5tsp turmeric
      0.5tsp garam masala
      1tsp salt
      150ml coconut milk
      handful of chopped fresh coriander

1. Heat the oil in a balti pan or wok, add the onion seeds and curry leaves and fry until the seeds start popping.
      2. Add the onions to the pan and stir fry until golden brown.
      3. Stir in the pumpkin and fry until golden brown.
      4. Stir in the yogurt gradually to prevent it curdling. Add the remaining ingredients and simmer for 15 mins until the pumpkin is tender.
      5. Serve garnished with pumpkin seeds, fresh chopped coriander and natural yogurt.

Comment

Pumpkin cream/curd

Use as you would lemon curd, as a filling for tarts or spread on bread or scones etc.

450g /1lb pumpkin flesh, (prepared weight) cut in to cubes
        30ml water
        2 large eggs, well beaten
        350g / 12oz caster sugar
        finely grated rind of 1 lemon
        finely grated rind of 1 orange
        0.5tsp ground mace
        0.5tsp ground ginger
        pinch of ground nutmeg

1. Place the pumpkin cubes in a pan with the water. Cook over a low heat until tender, then raise the heat to evaporate surplus liquid.
        2. Puree the pumpkin in a food processor (or pushed through a fine sieve).
        3. Put the puree in to a double boiler or a basin over a pan of simmering water.
        4. Add the remaining ingredients and cook for 20 mins or until the mixture is thick, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
        5. Pour in to warm jars. Cover with waxed discs and leave until cold, before covering with cellophane, labelling and storing in the fridge.

It's not exactly sweets, but you could make petit-four tarts using this mixture.

Comment

I chop my pumpkin up into cubes, coat it in a little olive oil, salt, pepper and dried mixed herbs, then I roast it in the oven for about half an hour (on a high heat).

I have it with all manner of dinners as a side veg (like you'd have brocolli or carrots) .

I also used to work in an italian restaurant and after we'd roasted it in the oven, we used to throw it into our pasta recipes - we used to make a nice roasted pumpkin pasta with a bit of garlic and cream and parmesan cheese.... yummmmm!!!

It can also be put into quiches - it makes a lovely addition..!

You can do sooooo much more with it than just soup!
          Last edited by Slug; 24-10-2006, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Oh... and of course the good ole American Pumpkin Pie. I have a recipe at home as a friend in America gave me a tin of Pumpkin Pie mix (basically pureed pumpkin in a tin!!).

It's a sweet dish - used as a desert.

PM me if you want the recipe, or else have a google and see what you find...
            Last edited by Slug; 24-10-2006, 12:59 PM.

Comment

There are quite a few pumpkin recipes at www.astray.com/recipes/ and also at www.pumpkinnook.com/cookbook.htm
              [

Comment

Thanks for those recipes Waffler. I have added them to my collection. I think squashes are great and am in the process of converting Mr E to the delights of various pumpkins. Miss E is proving a harder nut to crack. I particularly like the sound of the Pumpkin curd - just what you expect from someone who makes lemon curd substitute from courgettes
                Bright Blessings
                Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Oh Yum. Thanks for recipes guys, the pumpkin pasta sounds really nice. Waffler, how long does the pumpkin curd last, ie could I use it for xmas gifts? I often do preserves ans sweats for pressies but have never made curds before.

Comment

I would treat the curd as you would lemon curd; I've given lemon curd as presents before, but only if I've had time to make it only a few days before Christmas, then I store it in the fridge. Not really sure how long it lasts - not long in our house!

Comment

Dexter the dog highly recommends "dexterdogs carrot and squash casserole" in season to taste! honestly - its brill - guess what we are having for tea tonight! DDL
                      Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Found more recipes whilst looking for ways to carve my pumpkin; they are ghoulish halloween recipes really, but do include some interesting pumpkin recipes as well, including muffins, gnocci, soup and cheesecake.

http://www.yankeehalloween.com/recipe.html

Comment

Roast Pumpkin & Shallots

Roast Pumpkin & Shallots
                          serves 4 as a side dish

1 medium squash or 1/2 pumpkin
                          10-12 small / medium shallots
                          3 tbsp olive oil
                          1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
                          handful fresh sage leaves

Pre-heat the oven to 180 C.
                          Peel the squash / pumpkin with a potato peeler. Chop in half. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Then chop the flesh into bite-sized chunks.

Peel the shallots and cut off the stalks and roots.

Put the oil in an oven-proof dish and add the shallots and squash. Stir with a spoon to coat all the ingredients with the oil.

Roast for 30 mins, until the squash or pumpkin is tender.

Roughly chop the sage and mix with the roasted vegetables just before serving.

Delicious with jacket potatoes or brown rice.
                          Veg Box Recipes • Squash, Shallot & Sage Roast Recipe
                          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Pumpkin stir fry

Pumpkin (or Butternut) stir fry

1 butternut squash or small pumpkin
                            1 onion
                            Handful of runner/French beans
                            Cauliflower (or broccoli) florets
                            200g chick peas (or kidney beans or butter beans - whatever you've got in stock) (that's 50g of dried beans, remember to soak and boil them)
                            2 tbsp sesame oil (or vegetable oil)
                            2 tbsp sweet chilli sauce
                            2 tbsp soy sauce (light for flavour, dark for colour)
                            1 tbsp peanut butter (optional)

Peel the squash with a potato peeler. Chop off the stalk and flower end. Chop in half and use a spoon to remove the seeds. Chop into 1 cm cubes.

Heat the sesame oil in a wok

Put the squash in the wok and cover. Cook for 5 minutes.

Peel the onion and slice it finely. Add it to the wok and cook for 2 minutes, stirring regularly

Break the cauliflower into small florets and add to the wok. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring regularly.

Slice the runner beans into 1 cm chunks and add to the wok. Cook for 2 minutes, covered.

When all the vegetables are almost cooked, mix together the sauce: the sweet chilli sauce, the peanut butter & soy sauce.

Add to the wok and stir well for 2 minutes

Comment

Nigella's Pumpkin & Seafood Curry

Bonjela Lawson's Pumpkin & Seafood Curry

Serves 4-6

400ml tin coconut milk
                              1-2 tbsp yellow (or red) Thai curry paste
                              350ml fish stock
                              3 tbsp fish sauce
                              2 tbsp caster sugar
                              3 lemon grass stalks each cut into three and bruised with the flat of a knife
                              3 lime leaves de stalked and cut into strips
                              half tsp turmeric
                              1 kg pumpkin (or butternut squash) peeled and cut into large bite- sized chunks
                              500g salmon fillet, preferably organic, skinned and cut into large bite- sized chunks
                              500g peeled raw prawns
                              pak choi or any other green vegetables of your choice (chard?)
                              juice of half a lime
                              small bunch of coriander chopped, to serve

1.Skim the thick creamy top off the tin of coconut milk and put it, over medium heat, into a large saucepan or casserole with the curry paste. Let it sizzle and, using a fork, whisk or wooden spoon, beat milk and paste together until combined. Still beating, gently, add the rest of the coconut milk, fish stock, fish sauce, sugar, lemongrass, lime leaves and tumeric. Bring to a boil and then add the pumpkin.

2.Cook on a fast simmer until the pumpkin is tender, about 15 mins

3.When you're about 5 mins away from wanting to eat, get ready to cook the seafood.

4. To the robustly simmering pan, add the salmon and prawns (if you're using the prawns from frozen they'll need to go in before the salmon). When the salmon and prawns have cooked through, which shouldn't take more than 3-4 mins, stir in the green veg you're using - sliced, chopped or shredded as suits - and tamp down with a wooden spoon.

5.When the greens are wilted, squeeze in the juice of half a lime, stir and taste and then add the juice of the remaining half if you feel it needs it. Take the pan off the heat or decant the curry into a large bowl, and sprinkle over the coriander; the point is the coriander goes in just before serving.

6.Serve with Thai or basmati rice.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X