Third asparagus spear poking through!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Third asparagus spear poking through!

I'm so excited - I've got THREE asparagus spears poking up. Not quite a bounty I know, but better than nothing!

Don't eat them till year 3 though! They need to build up the plant or you'll just get the thin weedy sprue instead of good thick spears.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Hi Flummery. This is the third year as I bought them as two year-old crowns last year. I'll be happy if I harvest just a couple this year so I can dip them into a soft boiled egg - yum!

Comment

All my crowns (newly planted) rotted away last year. I was gutted as we love asparagus. I have planted 6 more this year but think I have already lost some. What am I doing wrong?!
        I have grown some from seed and they are doing ok som fingers crossed for them

I have just had to buy some from the farmers shop.

I bet your 3 spears will be DELISH!

Comment

Hi janeyo,

I planted apsparagus (1yr old crowns) this year, about 20, have about 15 coming up so around 25% failure rate. I thought I had under watered them, in fact they spend most of their time dry which i think is possibly the case.

So for me it is:
          1)Well drained soil
          2)Don't over water them
          3)Just let them be.

I got my crowns from victoriana nurseries.

Dave
          Just an Office Guy trying to grow own food

http://www.allotment13.blogspot.com/

Comment

Congratulations Loraine - we had our first ever asparagus last weekend. OH went and bought a camping stove and we sat in the plot and ate them (they'd been picked about 2 seconds before they went in the pot - can't get much fresher than that!)

We had ONE each - well worth the 3 year wait (lots more are coming up now!)
            Cheers

T-lady

Comment

I planted 10 crowns - various vareities - but all started off completely dried up in poly bags in garden centres.

They went in about a month ago and so far 8 of them have sprouted - Jimmer is dead chuffed!!!

Comment

I planted 10 crowns in March, and they're all up - Yay! Only 2 more years to wait (casts envious looks at all those harvesting asparagus this year).

Comment

I Planted my first one year old asparagus crowns late March.

Have kept the area well weeded and well watered.

Can only see 2 very thin asparagus coming through at the moment and am aware I shouldnt touch it this year.

Will the rest come through in time or could something have gone wrong?

Do I need to cut it down at the end of summer?

Comment

was so very tempted to sample the asparagus this year.....last year was year one (grown in a pot) They were so fat and luscious looking! I think the chickens have sampled some! Snapped stems in evidence! Have moved pot and the asparagus is about 2foot tall and turning ferny. Too late to eat now - roll on next spring! YUM YUM!

Comment

i planted 3 and only 1 is showing signs of life, might try again next year

Comment

I planted three and haven't seen a damned thing since.
                        Urban Escape Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Lorraine70 View Post
                          I'm so excited - I've got THREE asparagus spears poking up. Not quite a bounty I know, but better than nothing!
                          You must be stoked!!

Just out of interest, how much asparagus per plant can you expect once they are established?

New to all this - here to learn

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X