Help with growing garlic

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with growing garlic

How do I grow garlic and what month is the best time to start?

Thanks,
    Soph

The best time is in October/November. Just stick individual cloves in the soil 2" deep, about 6" apart, 6" between rows. Give a general fertiliser in spring and harvest July to September.
    Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

I started mine off November but also people start early spring for a later crop. I think it depends on the type of garlic, as any other plant. Sorry, don't know enough about it to give any specific advice
      I you'st to have a handle on the world .. but it BROKE!!

Comment

Another thing to mention is that some people do it with bulbs bought from the supermarket and others do it with stuff bought from Garden Centres or suppliers on-line. Although some people have success with stuff from supermarkets a lot of that Garlic is grown abroad and so less suitable for our climate, so it may be worth investing in bulbs grown in the UK.
        There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those that understand binary and those that don't.

Comment

its a bit late to put it in this year i would have thought..............
          http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

For the bulbs to split they need a length of time at a low temperature. It would be too late to get a good crop now I reckon.
            Mad Old Bat With Attitude.

I tried jogging, but I couldn't keep the ice in my glass.

Comment

I'd echo everything that has been said up to now, but... if you wanted to have a go at growing some this year, what you can do is to plant a garlic clove in a pot in the kitchen anyway, let it grow, then cut and eat the leaves - much like you might use chives, just chop and scatter over something. I wouldn't let them get too big, but in a small pot they won't get huge anyway. Other than that.. yep, wait till autumntime.

oh and when you get your garlic next year, don't forget to harvest the whole lot. I didn't. this spring i had lots of wild sown garlic which decided to grow all by itself (and split very well, thanks to the cold winter!).

keth
              xx

Comment

and if your like me, make sure when planting it into ground or in modules you make sure it the right way round because mine was the wrong way round...

Comment

Last year started our garlic off on the shortest day (December 2007). This year didn't get to plant them until early March (the cloves need to be in 30 days at a low soil temperature) and they seem to be going great guns. Obviously the proof of the pudding is in the eating ... so only time will tell. Would think that its a bit late to plant them for this year and get a good crop as the weather might already be too warm.

Comment

Originally posted by lavender lou View Post
                    and if your like me, make sure when planting it into ground or in modules you make sure it the right way round because mine was the wrong way round...
                    so loads of garlic in australia then??
                    http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...gs/jardiniere/

Comment

yeah...lol, first time growing for me see this thread it made a few laugh...

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...elp_29235.html

Comment

I bought abou 3-4 whole garlics from Morrisons, split the cloves out of them, and planted I think it was late Nov 08, and they have all come up, they are all doing well, and whats more, it only cost me 34p per whole garlic, so alot cheaper than buying from garden centre.

What they will look like when they come out the ground in Mid August I dont know, will take pics and post them on here. But next year, will put alot more in the ground. You have to make sure they go in then, to allow the frost to split the cloves for growing.
                        An atheist is someone who denies altogether the existence of God. I'm an agnostic. An agnostic is someone who believes that there can be no proof of the existence of God, but does not deny the possibility that God exists.

http://stuartscornerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X