Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Potatoes nearly ready - very excited!

Hi, I'm new here.

Was wondering how you tell when container-grown potatoes are ready to harvest?

I am growing 'swift' in an old dustbin. They were planted on 1 Feb & are now quite big & even have a small flower or two. The thing is, I've dug down in the compost about a foot with a spoon and can't find any potatoes at all to check the size of

Hope they are all at the bottom, rather than none at all.

Our first earlies are often planted in Feb-Mar, but aren't ready to harvest until about June-July, once the leaves start to die off.

Comment

Should have added;

Potatoes need some strong summer sun to allow the leaves to produce the large amounts of sugars that will later be transported down into roots and stored as starch - in the form of potatoes.
      Early in the year (such as now) the plants are just getting all their "solar panels" <leaves> ready to soak up all the light energy of the summer sun, which will be used to produce the potatoes later, during the summer.

Comment

Have moved my containers outside now to get the sun and extra light. Have emptied out two tubs so far but only got enough potatoes for one meal out of each tub. They were absolutely fab and although a small crop well worth the effort. The potatoes were all down the bottom of the tubs.

Ian

Comment

Give them plenty of water too. They swell up according to how well watered they are.
          Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

So the verdict is to wait a while then. And to expect the spuds at the bottom too. I am watering every day and they are in my conservatory where they do get a lot of light. I may move it outside, but it's rather heavy now it's full.

Thanks.

Comment

If they're in your conservatory (you didn't mention that in your opening post) then they may be ready a bit earlier.
              Adequate water is important, but beware too much watering or they will rot (or be eaten by underground slugs).

Comment

Glaurung, leave your potatoes until the foliage dies down. Keep them well watered for the last few weeks. Even planting in Feb I've never got mine before May so maybe a few more weeks patience.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I think that if you grow your spuds 'soft' particularly at higher temperatures then you are likely to get a lot of foliage and few tubers. I believe that you need to harden off the plants to get lots of fresh air and sunshine during fine days and then put them back to bed at night. Adequate water too , but NOT constant soaking. I'm growing Swift and International Kidney (Jersey Royals) in containers this year as well as 4 varieties on my two allotments. The minimum time for growth is 3 months but if you accept that light levels and temperature are going to be lower in Spring then you will probably have to wait a little longer. (P.S. I don't think the objective is necessarily volume is it?)

Comment

No, you're right Alan. Volume is not the objective or we would just go to the supermarket and buy whatever they had.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Yes, they are 'soft' I guess. It's certainly warm in the conservatory - I'll try & get them outside for the next few wekks then. Should I try & harden them off, of just bring them in if there's a frost? It's not going to be easy moving them at all- the bin is just too heavy. I shalltry smaller containers next year.

And no, quantity isn't the objective - scrummy new potato salad would be very nice though. My mouth is watering at the thought.

Comment

Originally posted by Glaurung View Post
                        And no, quantity isn't the objective - scrummy new potato salad would be very nice though. My mouth is watering at the thought.
                        blimey mine too Glaurung!!!
                        Mine are all in rubble sacks from b&q and have had foliage shooting up since a month after they were planted outside on march 17th.
                        i cover them up if there is a risk of frost, but other than that they've had the great outdoors.
                        as you had yours started early in the greenhouse you might get an early crop
                        just look out for dying down of the leaves
                        and remember to EARTH UP!!

all the best and keep us posted
                        any pics???
                        Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                        Independent Minds

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X