Too late for lime?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Too late for lime?

I forgot to lime this year's brassica plot at the end of last year. Is it too late to do it now? (Brassicas will be planted out within the next 3 weeks or so.)
    Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

No - do it as soon as you can, no harm done - I've usually limed just before planting as I've never been that organised, I always put a bit in around brassicas when I'm planting as well, either in the hole or on top of the soil.
    Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Thanks - I'll give it a try.
      Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

should any ground be limed for brassicas or just certain types of soil? i've never used lime.

Comment

Originally posted by kate&rob View Post
          should any ground be limed for brassicas or just certain types of soil? i've never used lime.
          If your soil is acidic or if you have or are concerned about club root I think those are the usual reasons for liming? I haven't tested my soil or limed but I may live to regret it!

Garden Lime - the vital fertiliser. Why lime, how much to lime and when to lime
          Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

so reading that, if i test my soil and find it acidic i can manure in autumn and lime in winter, is that right? i have a clay soil which i always thought needed organic matter tobreak it up, hence piling it up with horse muck last autumn.

Comment

I'm trying the Complete organic fertilizer mix that includes limes this year, I'm using it for everything except spuds, where I leave the limes out to avoid scab.

So far so good on everything I've grown to date!

Prepare New Vegetable Garden Beds Now!
              Jiving on down to the beach to see the blue and the gray, seems to be all and it's rosy-it's a beautiful day!

Comment

Originally posted by kate&rob View Post
                so reading that, if i test my soil and find it acidic i can manure in autumn and lime in winter, is that right? i have a clay soil which i always thought needed organic matter tobreak it up, hence piling it up with horse muck last autumn.
                Organic matter is very good for clay soils as you say. I use lime on the brassica plot as it is supposed to help in controlling club root.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X