Late Squashes

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late Squashes

Not only am I just getting my first little chilli on my chilli plants, the two squash plants in the polytunnel, which I didn't pull up as they looked quite healthy, although some flowers, but no fruit, have just started to open their flowers! Bit late!

If I left them in the ground do you think there is any chance for them to fruit? I sowed them in April
    ~
    Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
    ~ Mary Kay Ash

Have you any female flowers? If you can get a male and female open at the same time and hand pollinate AND if you've got some Sun you might just coax a couple of fruit to ripen. Depends what type they are. Summer or Winter and what?

Comment

Hello Jennie, I don't want to be too pessimistic here, and maybe somebody else knows better, but I don't think there is too much hope for your squash. I have already harvested mine. Only 6, but they are £1.50 each in the supermarket. I'll plant them a bit earlier next year. I think you must be running out of light and temperature by now. Do let us know how you get on. We can all learn from each other. That's why we're here. Good luck with the squash.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Have to agree with Alice. The days are getting shorter and the warmth is going.

My courgettes did well this year, but the butternut squash just turned up their toes and they were planted early enough. Still, it's been a funny year for weather

Comment

You never know though. After all they're in a polytunnel so could be kept warm and if that's in a spot where it gets all the Sun there is they should keep going as long as you can keep the frost off.
          Last year the grower who supplied Squash to my shop found a load he wasn't expecting out in his field in December! I know we're way south of you but they weren't undercover and yours are.
          Enter them in the 'growing in adverse conditions' competition people were discussing on here before.

Comment

Realistically I was thinking it was a bit late. But nothing much else to look after now, so they have all the opportunity of some TLC.
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Last year I was in a similar situation - but my squash were outside. I got one to ripen and start to swell, but then the frost came - end of story....

You may be luckier... if you've the space, then you could always leave them and see what happens...

Comment

Fleece, Hot water bottles, Classical music......

Never surrender!

Comment

I shan't Pickledtink! I am determined .........
                  ~
                  ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Jennie, you're displaying the true meaning of faith...... and hope. Keep us posted and perhaps a pic or two to let us see how they're doing. The best of luck.

And when your back stops aching,
                    And your hands begin to harden.
                    You will find yourself a partner,
                    In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JennieAtkinson View Post
                      I shan't Pickledtink! I am determined .........
                      Hoorraaaayyyyy!!
                      Good on you lady.
                      Even if you get just one on the plate for Christmas you'll be the greenfingered Goddess.

Comment

Jennie, I knew I was being too pessmistic. Try playing some Puccini, that always does it for me. If that fails, well , I'm not a person who can be easily bribed, But for a nice bottle of (I'll PM that to you) I'll send you a nice squash. You can take a pic, post it , roast it and enjoy it to a bottle of what you like and some Puccini (fixated there) otherwiswe try Madeleine Peyroux.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Alice - shhhhh don't tell everyone my plan !!!
                          ~
                          ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X