Pollinating Apples

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pollinating Apples

I've noticed that some apple trees need another variety for them to produce apples. My favourite variety of apple is Jazz/Scifresh, a cross between Braeburn and Gala. How would I go about growing this apple? It is patented so no where sells the trees. If I get a Braeburn tree and a Gala tree will the cross pollination produce Jazz/Scifresh apples or will it produce either Braeburn or Gala apples?

Jazz is the tradename for the Scifresh variety New ENZA Jazz apples, pure apple groove

The American grower uses crab apple trees as pollinators : http://www.jazzapple.com/grower_network.htm
    Last edited by Two_Sheds; 13-04-2009, 06:39 AM.
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Don't know much about the results of grafting with regard to flavour, but what if you got a Braburn and a gala and did a double graft of braeburn to gala and gala to braeburn.

Ian

Comment

Cross-pollinating or cross-grafting won't give you "Jazz/Scifresh" apples.
        You will need to buy the variety that you want.
        Cross-pollinating will produce random characteristics in the offspring - perhaps including crab apples and cooking apples. I can guarantee that cross-pollinating will never produce another tree the same as Jazz, since every apple pip is a different variety. The only varieties that have a chance of producing seedling that resemble their parents are the big triploid cookers (Blenheim, Bramley, Belle de Boskoop etc).
        Cross-grafting will produce either Braeburn or Gala.

Braeburn requires a long, hot summer to ripen properly.
        Gala is very susceptible to disease and is dependent on sprays to remain healthy in most areas.

I would not grow either as an unsprayed tree in a Northern area.
        Last edited by FB.; 13-04-2009, 12:43 PM.

Comment

Can you find a nice English/Scottish apple that you like? Apples has over fifty varieties of apples, which originate from Scotland
          All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

An apple-tree has many genes, which are randomly 'shuffled' during the pre-fertilization stage, therefore every seed will carry a different combination and is a one off. There are loads of lovely apples that you CAN buy though, so I'd try to find one that appeals.
            Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X