Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with leeks

Hi All,

I need some advice on growing leeks. Last year it looked like I was growing some lovely leeks but when I digged them up they where very small

So this time Hubby helped me get bigger holes but It has not helped

Can anyone offer any advice so I can get bigger leeks please

Lozza
    http://warmanallotment.blogspot.com/

when did you sow
    when did you plant them into final position
    when did you harvest?

Comment

when did you sow - April ( I think)
      when did you plant them into final position - sept/oct ( i think)
      when did you harvest - Started to pull up a few weeks ago

Comment

I sow my leeks anytime from beginning of March til about now. I sow them in 1 litre pots of M/P compost, (presoaked from the bottom and allowed to drain)with a pinch of seed spread evenly in each pot (one of my pinches equates to approx 30 seeds.)
        I leave them to grow on in these pots until they are ready for planting out - usually when the individual plants are about as thick as a pencil.
        I tip the whole lot out of the pot - then trim the roots of the clump to about an inch, then seperate the individual plants and drop them into the pre dibbed holes (made with an old spade handle to a depth of 6"), fill the hole with water, and then leave them to it.
        Rat

British by birth
        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

That's plenty of time for them to grow.

You can still harvest right up until the first one starts to grow a flower stem....

When you say small do you mean not thick enough, or not enough of a white bit?

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post

When you say small do you mean not thick enough, or not enough of a white bit?
            yes not enough white - looking at another response I think my leeks are too small when i plant them - they are not normally as think as a pencil

Comment

Ok. It's the deepness that helps with the whiteness [called blanching]. The longer they are the more white you will have.

You need to make a hole as deep as the plant and as wide as a broom handle. Then drop it in, water it in and then leave it.

Comment

If you want whoppers you need to grow something like Mammoth leeks from Robinsons and sow them on New Years Day!
                You should still get a reasonable crop if sown now though!
                My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

hi i allways put kitchen roll centers over the leeks tis helps withthe blanching and stops the hole filling up when weeding.

Comment

why do you trim the roots Rat? Never hard of that before so don't understand why. Thanks

Comment

I have read about and seen leeks planted in holes. Apparently the soil fills in naturally on its own. What I dont know is why? What is the benefit?
                      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by Scottishnewbie View Post
                        why do you trim the roots Rat? Never hard of that before so don't understand why. Thanks
                        1. It makes it a lot easier to seperate the individual plants from the clump.
                        2. It makes it a lot easier to drop them into the dibbed holes.
                        3. It is supposed to stimulate a more rapid and stronger root growth.

Some people also trim the tops before planring out, but I have never bothered.
                        Last edited by sewer rat; 04-04-2009, 01:22 AM.
                        Rat

British by birth
                        Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
                        http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by FionaH View Post
                          I have read about and seen leeks planted in holes. Apparently the soil fills in naturally on its own. What I dont know is why? What is the benefit?
                          Room to expand....rather than having to fight against the weight of the soil. If the hole fills up naturally, the soil will be less dense and thus the leek can expand easier.

Same principle with 'fingering your onions', loosening the soil as they start to bulk up to let them get as big as possible.

Comment

Cor lumme! Learn something new everyday Cheers Zazen. This will explain why my current leeks are skinny, tasty but skinny. And when would one errm finger ones onions? I am NOT going to make juvenille jokes at this point........*giggles
                            WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                              Room to expand....rather than having to fight against the weight of the soil. If the hole fills up naturally, the soil will be less dense and thus the leek can expand easier.

Same principle with 'fingering your onions', loosening the soil as they start to bulk up to let them get as big as possible.
                              It can help to create more white......the deeper the hole, the longer the white part of the leek. The holes are filled with water and allowed to seep away. This creates a permanent wet area for the leek to establish new roots and protects them from wind rock which would slow down the rooting process!
                              My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                              to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X