Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thai Aubergines

Hello....this is my first post here.

I hope I'm doing this correctly anyway I'll go straight into it.

I have recently bought some seeds from Thailand; Thai Pea Aubergines and Thai Green (I think they call them apple aubergines which are about the size of a golf ball). I have surface planted both indoors. The larger aubergines have nearly all germinated and seem to be doing nicely on my window-sill. But the Pea aubergines havn't germinated at all! I would have thought that both would like the same growing condition but it seems not unless there's something wrong with the seeds.........

Has anybody here tried growing these varieties in particular the Pea aubergines? I'm finding it difficult in finding anybody who has had a go at growing these. They are an excellent addition to a Green Curry. I hope someoby can help.

I'm growing a thai 'green doll' for the 1st time this year (as well as thai round purple). I've grown thai long green aubs before but not the small round ones.

Can't help with the pea-sized ones I'm afraid.
    To see a world in a grain of sand
    And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

Originally posted by smallblueplanet View Post
      I'm growing a thai 'green doll' for the 1st time this year (as well as thai round purple). I've grown thai long green aubs before but not the small round ones.

Can't help with the pea-sized ones I'm afraid.
      Could you tell me how you sow the seeds and other conditions ie watering and indoors or whatever?

Comment

What is the difference between thai aubergines and the ones normally grown in this country. Would have thought that both would have required the same treatment and growing conditions. could be wrong though.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by Ader1
          Could you tell me how you sow the seeds and other conditions ie watering and indoors or whatever?
          Our seeds are normally sown in modules and put in a heated propagator - they're a couple of inches high atm. We grow them on indoors (they hate cold) until any risk of frost is past and then plant them into the border of an unheated greenhouse. They like hot humid conditions, particularly when setting fruit. We tend to treat them like chillies or toms but a bit more humid when they're bigger.

Do a search on this thread there's lots of help and differing opinions on how to grow aubs - you'll also find some pictures too.

@ gojiberry - here's a picture of thai green doll

Last edited by smallblueplanet; 31-03-2009, 07:45 PM.
          To see a world in a grain of sand
          And a heaven in a wild flower

Comment

I bought some Thai Aubergine seeds from a Market stall in Thailand. They produced heavily last year. So I've planted the remainder this year. 100% germination rate so far.
            I wanted some more and the closest I found was a variety called Kermit at Mr Fothergills

Mr. Fothergills

I also got some pea Aubergines, but I never got them to germinate.

Comment

I grew some Thai pea last year, sown the same as 'regular aubergines'. They made large plants approx 5-6' with large thorns. Mine didn't fruit, but not the best of summers, if I grew them again I would try pinching the tips out and defo grow inside.
              Mostly Tomato Mania Blog

Comment

We have an Asian supermarket in town that sometimes have them, but fancied growing them myself this year. Found an interesting selection here.....

Aubergine seeds - Eggplant

Comment

Originally posted by poly View Post
                  I grew some Thai pea last year, sown the same as 'regular aubergines'. They made large plants approx 5-6' with large thorns. Mine didn't fruit, but not the best of summers, if I grew them again I would try pinching the tips out and defo grow inside.
                  May I ask how you sow the 'regular aubergines'.

Thank you all for your replies so far.

Comment

I sowed mine in an unheated propagator in moist soil and all germinated in a week. That was a month ago - I'll be sowing my next batch this week.
                    Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                    And only count lifes sunny hours,
                    For her dull days do not exist,
                    Evermore the optimist

Comment

Originally posted by Victoria26 View Post
                      I sowed mine in an unheated propagator in moist soil and all germinated in a week. That was a month ago - I'll be sowing my next batch this week.
                      Were these the Pea Aubergine type?

Comment

Oh well, I've read somewhere on here that you should try soaking the seeds in luke warm water for 24 hours before sowing. I'm going to try this and see what the results are.....

Comment

There is a place on Tamworth market that sells all Thai stuff on saturdays.
                          They sell al your Thai Vegetables. Thai eggplant, pea eggplant, thai celery, pak boon, thai green papaya, sour mango, holy basil, sweet basil, thai parsley.
                          All sorts.
                          Even all the cooking ingredients. All the sauces, in bottles, jars, sachets.
                          Packets of sour mustard, bamboo.
                          Almost everything.
                          They say they do Hinckley market on friday too. But I haven't been there.
                          You should check it out if you live near.

Comment

I am growing Thai light green aubergines from Nickies nursery
                            very quick germination,but seem very slow in growing, as they should grow very tall.may have to turn up the heat.

Comment

Originally posted by Adam Strange View Post
                              I am growing Thai light green aubergines from Nickies nursery
                              very quick germination,but seem very slow in growing, as they should grow very tall.may have to turn up the heat.
                              Thank you for that. I might try growing them again this year and use my propagator this time which I didn't have before. I did have joy in growing the Thai Apple Aubergine variety to a point. Plants grew and even flowered but I didn't get any fruit. But this was the year before last and I don't think that was a good year for Aubergines I can remember reading somewhere.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X