starting parsnips in the greenhouse

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• starting parsnips in the greenhouse

Hi I have parsnips growing in my greenhouse in 2" peat pots with the bottoms cut out of them,the seedlings have just popped through but when i looked underneath the pots i have about 1cm of root growing out and bending around the base.

Does anyone know if it is still worth planting out on the allotment as I have been told the roots should grow straight down & I didn`t expect any root to be showing so quickly.

I would stick them straight in the ground - but you might end up with some funny stubby little parsnips next winter! If you have any seeds left (and they don't keep, so you might as well use them up), sow more in between the planted-out ones as insurance.

Next time you'll know to start them out in something taller (I'm using loo rolls) - live and learn!

Comment

Originally posted by blister View Post
      Hi I have parsnips growing in my greenhouse in 2" peat pots with the bottoms cut out of them,the seedlings have just popped through but when i looked underneath the pots i have about 1cm of root growing out and bending around the base.

Does anyone know if it is still worth planting out on the allotment as I have been told the roots should grow straight down & I didn`t expect any root to be showing so quickly.
      Snap, Blister. Put mine in loo rolls and assumed that nothing was happening as it took ages for the little green shoots to appear. When it did, I didn't rush myself as my little grandaughter wanted to help me plant them out and I only see her once a week.
      We did it together a couple of weeks ago but by that time the roots were well and truly through the bottom.
      We went head anyway as I don't want to dampen her enthusiasm. I have since started some more off on kitchen roll and will get her to help me plant them in a designated spot with sifted soil so that she has something to present her dad with and be proud of. She has already planted up a couple of potatoes and enjoys harvesting the tiny radishes from the greenhouse. Who knows, she may end up a professional gardener!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X