Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Container carrots - what happens if the pot isn't deep enough?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Container carrots - what happens if the pot isn't deep enough?

I sowed some carrots in a container which I assumed would be a little shallow for them, but thought I could use them up as baby carrots - will do a second sowing a bit later in a pot which is much deeper. But curiosity has got the better of me, what would happen if I let a couple grow big? Do they fork, bend, or just go fat????

I should imagine they will either get fat or be deformed in some way - maybe sort of spiral? Let some grow big and report back
    Happy Gardening,
    Shirley

Comment

Deformed veg still tastes good
      WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

I've planted some intermediates in a bucket and was wondering if it's deep enough........ I await with anticipation
        Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

We'll have to compare photos, Hayley!

Comment

Here's me hoping for a bendy one
            Hayley B

John Wayne's daughter, Marisa Wayne, will be competing with my Other Half, in the Macmillan 4x4 Challenge (in its 10th year) in March 2011, all sponsorship money goes to Macmillan Cancer Support, please sponsor them at http://www.justgiving.com/Mac4x4TeamDuke'

An Egg is for breakfast, a chook is for life

Comment

I want curly!!!!

Comment

Funnily enough, I've just emptied a pot of carrots that I left on the allotment since summer.
                The carrots had filled the pot (I couldn't pull them out, I had to break the pot) and the roots were all twisted and bent together. Interesting, but impossible to scrub all the dirt off the entwined roots.

The guinea pigs enjoyed them though
                All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

If they've just germinated you could cut the bottom out of the pot and stick it on soil so they will grow ok!

I think the twisted and deformed carrots are usually caused by sowing too thickly and not thinning out.

A round carrot something like Paris Early Market is ideal for pots!
                  My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
                  to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Two Sheds needs a pressure washer!

Comment

Well I intend to munch on mine as soon as they are big enough to qualify as baby carrots, but I was just curious as to what would happen if I let the odd one grow to full size. Don't think mine will get crowded by other carrots, it will just run into a dead end at the bottom of the pot.

And no, Snadger, I am not cutting out the bottom of this pot as it is a nice one that looks good on the patio (and cost me money!!!!). Although that's a great idea for some of the ones I liberated from the recycling bin at Wyevale.....

Comment

i grew loads last year in a variety of containers,ranging from beer cans(tops cit off and drainage whole bodged in side),fruit juice cartons to proper pots.The cartons and cans were inspired by seeing a clip on one of jamie olivers programmes and although the appearance would probably bother some people who like perfect gardens, i used them to maximise the growing area on my patio and they worked perfectly.
                        i transplanted some carrots that i'd sowed elsewhere and they all came out forked and deformed.The ones i simply sowed in the containers by and large all came out nice and straight.I picked the carrots at different times and had baby carrots,perfect for salads etc and the ones i left in for a long time did grow to a nice size but to be honest they weren't giants!!
                        Spiderpig

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X