my asparagus crowns have arrived...

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my asparagus crowns have arrived...

...but it's still too early to plant them out.

Is there anything I should be doing with them for the next couple of weeks?

Prepare the bed and get them in ASAP!!!!..they'll be fine- you don't want the roots drying out.

There you go....your day is now sorted !
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

I agree get them in....if the bed is ready....they'll be up in a few weeks then you might need to just keep and eye on any frosts.

Keep the bag shut and even dunk them in a bucket of water during planting.

How exciting...what variety did you get in the end?

Comment

Mine arrived yesterday, the bed was already prepped up, they were planted within 30 mins of arrival!
        Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

thanks everyone - I went for Connovers Colossal in the end, but I'm a bit worried actually, they are all sealed in a bag, but look extremely dry, and the compost looks very dry and powdery....I'm a bit worried that they have been hanging around for a long time, and of course, I won'rt know that they aren't growing till it's too late to plant out some more...

Comment

Originally posted by queen of the cobs View Post
            thanks everyone - I went for Connovers Colossal in the end, but I'm a bit worried actually, they are all sealed in a bag, but look extremely dry, and the compost looks very dry and powdery....I'm a bit worried that they have been hanging around for a long time, and of course, I won'rt know that they aren't growing till it's too late to plant out some more...
            Mine arrived a few days ago and look the same as yours sound - I haven't planted mine yet but am going to get out there and do it right away. I have the Gijnlim variety. Fingers crossed hey!

Comment

Originally posted by queen of the cobs View Post
              Could you plant them in pots immediately, with crowns near the surface and under a cloche or something - the idea being to accelerate growth so you know sooner rather than later whether you will need to get some more or not?
              Warning: I have a dangerous tendency to act like I know what I'm talking about.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X