Pumpkin survival - tips?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pumpkin survival - tips?

Okay, okay, I know it was too early to plant a pumpkin seed. It was done mainly for the daughter's amusement. But I thought it would take slightly longer to germinate and therefore it might not be too much of an issue. But now I see it's pushing through the soil after only 3 days. And now that it's out, I'm already fond of it and want to keep it alive, but I know it will grow too rapidly to keep it inside until the frost danger is gone (beginning of May) if left to its own devices. Do you think I could slow it down by putting it outside on cool but non-frosty days? Or would that just weaken it? Or should I just try potting it up to a bigger pot when it gets too big for the takeaway coffee cup it's in right now and hope for the best? Or any other ideas?

Well I was even more impatient than you with some of my butternut squash! I repotted them into a larger pot and they stood up much better - they were really drooping before. I've got them in a little mini-greenhouse against the house wall which I open up during the day and close up at night. They are still growing, but don't seem to be in as much of a rush. Dont' know what the long term effect will be - will sow some more seedlings closer to when they 'should' go in and will compare them at the end of the season.

Comment

Well at least I'm not the only one who was overeager. I do have a mini-greenhouse, but it needs a new cover, so I'll have to look into that.

Comment

You could try repotting them as they get bigger and harden off on a daily basis. Or perhaps you have a sunny sheltered area they could be transplanted to and then covered in straw and fleece at night time till the danger of frost has gone. A bit time consuming I know but it's you, the baby pumpking and your daughter against the world!! (well weather anyway lol )
        Last edited by lizzylemon; 20-03-2009, 08:05 PM.

Comment

keep repotting and don't leave it outside. You'll just have to put up with it for a few weeks. It won't grow that big quite so fast. BUT a coffee cup is no where near big enough!!
          http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Matt's right (he always is!) - unless the weather's absolutely vile it will cope in the day outside. It needs to be inside at night so it's protected from not only frost but very low night time temperatures too. And it needs more soil! I'd try it in a 5" pot for a while.
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Thanks everyone. It's still uncurling itself, so I will leave it for a bit in the coffee cup until there are some real leaves for me to grab onto for repotting. Assuming last week wasn't the only nice weather we'll get for 2009, I'll start letting it take sunbaths too.

Comment

One useful to know fact about pumpkins is that the third leaf is opposite the direction of the main vine. Therefore if you are aiming to grow it corner to corner of a bed plant with the third leaf (first true leaf) behind the direction you want it to grow. This also means you can plant squash in such a way to maximise space. You need to keep it pot bound until at least this leaf is formed before planting out.
                http://plot62.blogspot.com/

Comment

Well, as it's confession time - I couldn't help myself either and planted courgettes and pumpkins three weeks ago, they're going great guns in the windowsill. I will pot them on but as it's now snowing here today - they'll be staying inside.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X