Moving Rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Moving Rhubarb

have been given a couple of rhubarb crowns from a neighbouring plot - one has a root about 12" long - but my plot isn't ready for it yet

is it ok to put it in a bucket of multi-purpose compost at home for now? prob be there for a week or so
    i need to dig up some brambles and lavender to clear a space on the plot for it - and that will leave a fair size hole - shall i fill it with multi-purpose compost for the rhubarb?
    http://MeAndMyVeggies.blogspot.com

My rhubarb was in a bucket for over a year- with a bit of top soil in it.

MP compost will be fine in the bucket.
    I'd be tempted to dig in a couple of spadefuls of lottie compost if you have any into the deep hole- and then plant it the rhubarb above it. Make sure the crown is above soil level.
    Just give the rhubarb a good watering in the bucket- it's pretty hard to kill off!
    "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

We did just the same thing, were given rhubarb but nowhere to put it. It lasted 2 years in an old plastic archive box (holes drilled in the bottom) with a mix of topsoil and garden compost until we could get it into a bed at the lottie. We had a couple of harvests from it, but now its in the ground its happy as larry. Yours will be absolutely fine.

Comment

ok cheers guys - i'm off to fill the buckets now!

Comment

Enjoy the fresh air and sunshine!

Comment

i would agree with nico and becki , its pretty much bomb proof .Moved some about a month ago with no water(not switched on on lottie yet) and mine has been fine and is growing well.
            Take photographs today because tommorow you might not have

Together everyone achieves more

Comment

well i've planted lots of crowns on my rhubarb bed at home and they all die .... fingers crossed the 2 in the bucket survive!

Comment

Originally posted by Farmer_Gyles View Post
                well i've planted lots of crowns on my rhubarb bed at home and they all die .... fingers crossed the 2 in the bucket survive!
                Ha!!- I've never yet been able to kill off rhubarb...but I have to say the 2 split crowns we brought out here in the autumn don't look too healthy!....maybe this could be a first time for me!!!!!
                "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X