Beetroot successional sowing

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beetroot successional sowing

Apologies if this has been asked before. This year I want to get as many crops as possible without wasting space so want to have a go at successional sowing. My beetroot has just germinated, how long should I wait before sowing the next lot?
    AKA Angie

Depends on how much you want and how quickly you eat it!

I usually succession sow in 9-10 day intervals.

Comment

Thanks Zazen, well we love beetroot so I guess that means I could start sowing another lot in a couple of days. I take it I can only do this with veg that germinates and is ready to crop quickly. Any suggestions which other veg I can do this with?
      AKA Angie

Comment

Radish are another obvious one.( and lettuce)

I'd be aware though that at this time of year the plants will take longer to mature than those sown a few weeks later -so they may mature at the same time.

With beetroot- I sprinkle the seeds very close- about4 per inch- and then thin out by taking the largest to eat when they're still small. I grow cylindra (sp?) which grow tall rather than wide- and this works well!
        "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Thanks Nicos, hadn't thought about the maturation time. Perhaps I'll leave the next sowing of beetroot for another week or so then. I like the idea of cylindra beetroot, who supplies those?
          AKA Angie

Comment

In what I laughingly refer to as my Sowing Plan, I have three categories of seed

1 Things which either stand for a long time, will keep cropping, have a really short season or will be stored e.g. parsnips, tomatoes, peppers, cucumber potatoes, squash, sweetcorn etc - SOW ONCE (March-ish)
            2 Things which will stand for quite a long time, but I want to extend the picking season e.g. brussells sprouts, cabbage, calabrese, beans, spring onions, leeks, peas - SOW TWICE (March-ish and May-ish)
            3 Things which will spoil if not used straight away e.g. radish, lettuce, cauliflower - SOW A PINCH ONCE A MONTH (March, Apr, May, Jun)

I'd put beetroot in the second category - they stand pretty well, but you want to be able to crop over a long period.

ETA - I've missed a load out (garlic & onion sets, category 1; carrots, category 2), I know, but you get the idea.
            Last edited by Hazel at the Hill; 19-03-2009, 11:30 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
              Thanks Nicos, hadn't thought about the maturation time. Perhaps I'll leave the next sowing of beetroot for another week or so then. I like the idea of cylindra beetroot, who supplies those?
              I've seen them in garden centres all over the place..I think I originally bought some from Marshalls.

- easy to slice- and lovely flavour!
              "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

There's a table in "Salad Leaves for All Seasons" that gives approx times from sowing to planting out for different crops throughout the year. Obviously it varies from one plant type to another, but a quick glance suggests that seeds sown in June/July will mature in about half/two-thirds the time of the same variety sown in March. So, your sowing times want to be further apart than your estimated harvesting times; I'd say that on average you don't want to be resowing until the previous batch are at least halfway to harvesting, otherwise they will probably all mature together!

Comment

Oh thanks everyone. Really great advice and much appreciated
                  AKA Angie

Comment

How glad am I that I just read this thread.

My beetroot, Boltardy, has just germinated and I was thinking about sowing another batch next week. Now I will hold fire for a good few weeks longer.

Comment

am about to sow boltardy myself all being well in the new raised bed i will be creating this weekend - please gods give us good weather and decent time management...

anyhow, i also have kale and parsley seeds - can i plant these with/alongside the beetroot?
                      Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
                      Independent Minds

Comment

I would soak the beetroot seeds overnight (or two) in a saucer of water - like you would with sweet peas - rapidly speeds up the germination!!

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
                          am about to sow boltardy myself all being well in the new raised bed i will be creating this weekend - please gods give us good weather and decent time management...

anyhow, i also have kale and parsley seeds - can i plant these with/alongside the beetroot?
                          Only problem with the kale is that you might disturb the roots when you harvest the beetroot. I would keep the two separate, and maybe sow the parsley and kale together so you can be harvesting the herb whilst the kale is still maturing. Be aware, though, that parsley seed is slow to germinate (it's related to parsnip), so don't despair if the kale is up long before it!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X