Huge lime green caterpillar

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Huge lime green caterpillar

Huge lime green caterpillar on my spring cabbage this morning (in my poly tunnel) - I noticed it while watering - 3.5 cm and very fat! I got the plants from my father in law last October and squashed the dark green ones that I found back then - do you think this is one I missed or something new - Lime green and did say HUGE- it took two goes to squash
    Any bigger and I would have had to wrestle t off the plant.

Regards

Pat
    Last edited by -pat m; 18-03-2009, 02:23 PM. Reason: missing info
    "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Probably Small Cabbage White - http://www.ukbutterflies.co.uk/speci...g-08%20(1).jpg

the large cabbage white is the one most often seen (their camouflage ain't so good)
    All gardeners know better than other gardeners." -- Chinese Proverb.

Comment

Sounds like one of these maybe? This thing appeared from nowhere on the side of my growhouse.
      My Blog My flickr

Comment

Originally posted by onefivenine View Post
        Sounds like one of these maybe? This thing appeared from nowhere on the side of my growhouse.
        Thats the one! I was working for home today and spent my entire lunch break looking for more but I didn't find anymore thank goodness - It was just the size of it!!!

Thanks

Pat
        "Did you ever walk in a room and forget why you walked in? I think that's how dogs spend their lives."

Comment

If it's really large then it could be a hawk moth caterpillar, like this?

http://accipiter.hawk-conservancy.or...head%20up1.jpg
          Mark

Vegetable Kingdom blog

Comment

Originally posted by Capsid View Post
            If it's really large then it could be a hawk moth caterpillar, like this?

http://accipiter.hawk-conservancy.or...head%20up1.jpg
            LOL not quiet - I think I was a little hysterical seeing a caterpillar in March

Comment

My money is on the Angle Shades moth - the caterpillars overwinter and will feed whenever temperatures get above 5 degrees C.

Royal Horticultural Society - Advice: Angle Shades Moth

P.S. 3.5cm isn't huge - you should see hawkmoth caterpillars, they're as big as your middle finger!
              Last edited by Eyren; 18-03-2009, 10:31 PM.

Comment

I thought I found another this morning (I read the post about them coming out at night) but it turned out to be the one I squashed yesterday I will need my trolley to remove it from the poly tunnel

Regards and thanks for your comments

pat

Comment

Originally posted by -pat m View Post
                  I will need my trolley to remove it from the poly tunnel
                  How big is it, Pat???

Comment

In my dreams it is about 14 stone and 6ft 7

But I think it is about 3 ½ cm long… A bit like man flu I guess!

Pat

Comment

lol Pat google Mopani worms
                      Gonimbrasia belina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
                      Never test the depth of the water with both feet

The only reason people get lost in thought is because it's unfamiliar territory....

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Comment

I love butterflys but im afraid ive been binning any caterpillars im finding.

I'm all itchy now!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                        Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                        And only count lifes sunny hours,
                        For her dull days do not exist,
                        Evermore the optimist

Comment

I find these often and we have a lot of surrounding Lime trees (not citrus type) - lime hawk moth?

Comment

Well it’s 6 am and that inconvenience called work is making me go into the office today so I am just off to the poly tunnel to hunt caterpillars – I will be taking:

Goggles
                            Sturdy torch
                            Large Hessian sacks
                            Ropes

I have left instructions with Mrs M as to where I am going and If I am not back by 06:30 she will be phoning the rescue service to save me as I will have succumbed to Gigantigus cattipillirus

Regards

Pat

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X