Rhubarb, rhubarb

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb, rhubarb

No, not practising to be an extra in a film , just wondering - anyone here know anything about growing rhubarb from seed ? How quickly do the plants grow ( I know, how long is a piece of string...) - do I need to sow lots of seeds to get enough plants for use as insecticidal drenches the first year ?
    There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

My neighbour's son grew some from seed. The one I have is now coming up to three years old and only just beginning to be big enough to pick. I think it's like asparagus in that you don't pick any for the first few years to allow the plant to establish. It took a year to be big enough to transplant! If you have mare's tail around you could use that instead.

However I am not an expert so maybe someone else knows different.
    Bright Blessings
    Earthbabe

If at first you don't succeed, open a bottle of wine.

Comment

Patience is a virtue.

Sow in seedbed in April - over the summer, thin and then move the strongest plants in autumn to a permanent bed.
      One variety says can be harvested one year after sowing - that sounds a bit quick so I would only harvest very very lightly. Perhaps then 2 years from seed to harvest?
      My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
      Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

Can you not beg, steal or borrow some crowns Snohare?
        ~
        Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
        ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

Oh believe me I've tried Jennie ! (I am an Aberdonian born and bred - the kind of man other Scots think of as grippy ) I think the problem is that I have yet to tap into the allotment culture, and the prospects of that anytime soon are remote as the allotment site I am hoping to get onto only has 5 plots, 3 currently unused and all new (sans rhubarb).
          Earthbabe, heaven forfend that I should ever have mare's tail growing in my allotment...but do you know something about it that I don't ? The only uses I've ever heard of for it is as a source of silicon for glass making, and as a pot scourer in the Middle Ages !
          Multiveg, which variety is it that is supposed to be so quick ? (Ta for the sowing info, I was all set to sow now to let the cold get to the seeds ! )

Comment

Snohare - remind me again in spring and I will send you a bit of Shetland rhubarb!
            ~
            Aerodynamically the bumblebee shouldn't be able to fly, but the bumblebee doesn't know that so it goes on flying anyway.
            ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

*Grabs DT Brown catalogue* Victoria
              My Blog - http://multiveg.wordpress.com/
              Photo Album - http://www.flickr.com/photos/99039017@N00/

Comment

I sowed rhuberb last year (sowed it in Feb in seed tray on windowsill) All the seed germinated and i planted them out in early summer. They threw up plenty of leaves and did far better than i would thought for a first year. Hoping to be able to pull a few sticks next year.

And when your back stops aching,
                And your hands begin to harden.
                You will find yourself a partner,
                In the glory of the garden.

Rudyard Kipling.sigpic

Comment

Mmm, seed tray on windowsill... thanks bramble, I think by February I am going to be desperate to sow seed so that'll be top of my list ! How long do they take to germinate ? Do they need covering with soil etc ?
                  Jennie, springtime in Shetland....that's late June isn't it ?
                  Who is DT Brown and why does he drink so much ?

Comment

Originally posted by snohare View Post
                    Earthbabe, heaven forfend that I should ever have mare's tail growing in my allotment...but do you know something about it that I don't ? The only uses I've ever heard of for it is as a source of silicon for glass making, and as a pot scourer in the Middle Ages !
                    It is also a traditional herbal remedy for skin conditions and is starting to be used and recognised by the cosmetic industry and it's been suggested you can use it against the dreaded blight.

It's high silica content means it can be useful for hair and nail conditions too.

Still no a reason to deliberately grow it as someone I know does but it takes all sorts.
                    Bright Blessings
                    Earthbabe

Comment

June for rhubarb Snohare? It'll all be gone!
                      I'd need to dig you up a bit in April.
                      ~
                      ~ Mary Kay Ash

Comment

it's been suggested you can use it against the dreaded blight
                        Earthbabe, is that as a drench ? Not that I have blight at present, but like the poor, it is always with us...
                        Jennie, April or June, either way with my goldfish-style memory I am likely to forget...but think of some plant you might want/need and we'll maybe do a swap.

Comment

It's used as a "foliar feed" I think three days running.
                          Bright Blessings
                          Earthbabe

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X