sowing beetroot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sowing beetroot

Can i Plant beetroot in my plastic greenhouse now? if so how should i go about it? i have Boltardy.
    So many questions, i know!

Hi, I'm not that experienced but I have sown mine in my plastic greenhouse in biodegradeable pots so I don't disturb the roots when planting. I have sown one seed per module. I think unless they are a special variety one seed will produce more than one seedling, so you may want to thin them out. I'm not thinning mine out but planting them as a batch, as I don't have much space and am hoping, as they grow, they will create their own space. I have also sown boltardy.
    AKA Angie

Comment

You could plant them in modules, one seed per module, and put them in your little greenhouse. They come up quite quickly.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

I have some in a largish pot in the greenhouse (unheated) they have true leaves showing already.

I also have weeny baby radishes in a pot which came up sooner than I thoght they would and look like they will be ready in a couple more weeks, I am quite excited about them too!

Comment

last year i planted boltardy beetroot from a kit i bought at woolies in their sale.the next day seedlings had appeared ,within 3 days they were all up. i had so many i didnt know what to do with them all, despite some ruthless thinning.grew well in my plastic green house till i planted them out.harvested them at golf ball size,didnt seem to get much bigger and since i dont like beetroot gave them to a workmate who thought they were delicious.
          a good put down line to use !

If having brains was a fatal disease, you would be the only survivor.

Comment

Eek - I planted mine straight out in the garden - Hope this wont just rot them.

Oh well 1st year with beetroot - never eaten it unless its been pickled before.
            Serene she stand amid the flowers,
            And only count lifes sunny hours,
            For her dull days do not exist,
            Evermore the optimist

Comment

i have boltardy in the plastic cold frame, they seem to be doing ok.
              Vive Le Revolution!!!
              'Lets just stick it in, and see what happens?'
              Cigarette FREE since 07-01-09

Comment

I sowed my Boltardy two seeds per toilet roll tube, in a seed tray on the 8th March in MPC, they are covered over with a plastic carrier bag and sat on my conservatory window sill. My plan, once (if) they germinate is to plant them out into 6" deep long plastic planters.

I love beetroot, not looking for huge size thought, want to crop small size for pickling whole.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X