Chance for a free greenhouse!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chance for a free greenhouse!

Hi all, Mr Dobby hasnt been feeling too well today, so spent the day trawling the net for any greenhouses local to us, and found a 'free' one about 10 miles away, its aluminium, has about a quarter of the glass panels broken and is 8'x8'.

We are going to go and have a look on Wednesday, and if its at all salvageable then will arrange to collect it (got to hire a van unless we can fit it into his car!), but with all the broken glass we were just wondering if anyone has any good contacts for cheap greenhouse glass? We are Manchester based, but dont mind travelling up to 50 miles if the price is right!

Any info or suggestions will be of great help!
    Blessings
    Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
    Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
    Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
    On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Give me the sizes of the panes of glass that need replacing and how many there are. My OH works in a glass factory so he will get you a good price.
    [

Comment

Fantastic!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You are a star!!!! Thanks very much LJ!! Will let you know as soon as we've had a look!
      Blessings
      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx

Comment

No problem Mrs D.
        [

Comment

In that case LJ can you supply him with a sarnie box that is Dutch light sized as I would like about 32 sheets
          ntg
          Never be afraid to try something new.
          Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark.
          A large group of professionals built the Titanic
          ==================================================

Comment

Nick if you ever want glass my OH will get it for you at a discounted price. I haven't found a sandwiche box big enough yet!
            [

Comment

Actually that is worth knowing as a friend of mine has been offered a greenhouse but a lot of the glass is cracked but still in place. we counted up the sheets neeted & by the time we had taken it down, built a nwe base & re glazed it, it was nearly as much as buying a new one !!
              ntg

Comment

So what you are saying is that I am worth knowing Nick???
                [

Comment

sometimes
                  ntg

Comment

How did you get on today Mrs D? DDL
                    Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Went to see the 8' by 8' greenhouse today, it was in Irlam, about 2 miles away as the crow flkies, but the wrong side of the Manchester Ship Canal, so had to drive round via the toll bridge, a total of 8 miles!

We got there at 10am, knocked on and were shown into the back garden, past the koi pool and 2 lovely sheds to a poorly neglected greenhouse, thankfully clear of weeds, but 8' by 10', not the 8' by 8' that we'd been told! It looked like there were about 16 panes of glass broken, in 3 or 4 different sizes, and we agreed straight away to have it, Mr Dobby deciding he wanted to dismantle it right then and there, in the rain!!

Took us a couple of hours to get all the glass out, and another couple of hours to dismantle the frame (labelling it up as we went), then the fun part, getting it into the car!

We went in Mr Dobby's car (a 54 plate Fiat Panda) as it holds more than my MINI, and had no problem with getting the glass or smaller frame in at all, but when it comes to the 10' lengths there was no chance! Being in a rush we forgot to take any bungy straps or rope, so we cadged some string and tied all the longer frame members together inside a picnic basket, before strapping to the roof rails on the Panda with string and Dobby's trouser belt!

8 miles home with a 10' greenhouse strapped to the roof was a little unnerving, couldnt go faster than about 40mph as it was bouncing everywhere, and this meant we had a tailback in the 50 zone! We managed it though, and got to tha plot with everything intact, so it couldnt have been as bad as we thought!

Now got to clear the bed we are going to put it into and sort out some footings for the lightweight base, so hopefully we will get these ready and be able to errect it on our next weekend off, a week on Saturday!

Just got to hope for some decent weather and get a few more aluminium nuts / s clips and w clips, then measure up what glass we are missing and replace it!

All in all a good days work, specially as it was free!!
                      Blessings
                      Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                        How did you get on today Mrs D? DDL

Lol DDL, I was just writing it up as you posted!!!
                        Blessings
                        Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

Comment

Hi Mrs Dobby forgot to tell you where I found the add its one i havent seen before! Dont know if it will be of use ot anyone, but just in case....
                          http://www.friday-ad.co.uk/AdRef/YI6...lAdDetails.asp

There is a call charge if you ring them, its 25p a min, but for a call of less than 2 mins its not too bad!

We've never heard of Friday Ads before, and I dont think many folks have, so I think thats how we got it
                          Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                          Dobby

Comment

It sounds like a worthwhile day Mr & Mrs D! Just got visions of Mr D with no belt around his trousers! (sorry!)
                            Despite having an estate car, we picked up my large bench on the sunday and strapped it to the roof - needless to say we came back to Preston from Cleveleys via the A class roads - and yes, quite slowly! well worth it though!
                            Have fun putting it back together again! DDL
                            Bernie aka DDL

Appreciate the little things in life because one day you will realise they are the big things

Comment

Originally posted by dexterdoglancashire View Post
                              Have fun putting it back together again! DDL

Are you volunteering? DDL
                              Some things in their natural state have the most VIVID colors
                              Dobby

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X