Lets Go Outside - a garlic question

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets Go Outside - a garlic question

My garlic in the conservatory is doing a sterling job and shooting right up, even the runt which I had consigned to the great garlic press in the sky.

However, their cousins outside in the various containers have not shown anything above the surface at all.
    Should I be worried?
    Is this just due to the heat inside?
    Have they rotted or frozen?

The variety is Sultop Hardneck Spring planting.

Advice from Garlic-Lovers would be appreciated
    Iamhanuman

New Boy & Son Blog My Blog about a new gardener's experiences with his son

AND PLEASE CHECK OUT MY DEAR WIFE'S BLOG
    Independent Minds

Ok...I am no expert but happy to share my experience, plus I looooooooves the garlic...I planted outside and in..and like yours the ones in the greenhouse have come up fab....the ones outside were a lot slower, they even had to battle thro a flood of about 20 hours....I was convinced that they would not grow.....but they did....so I say....persevere....after all (Ihave been told) that garlic need a few very cold days to seperate into cloves

Comment

Originally posted by Safhyre View Post
      so I say....persevere....after all (Ihave been told) that garlic need a few very cold days to seperate into cloves
      how does that bode for the ones inside???
      Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

You might find that you get single giant bulbs rather than one made up of cloves, Iamhanuman - perfectly edible, just a bit trickier to use in recipes that only need a bit of garlic!

Some of my Feb planted cloves are only just up or still underground - Lautrec Wight is doing nicely but the rest...not so much. I'm not worried yet, as it's been a cold spring so far. As long as they haven't rotted, I expect they'll be fine in the end.

Comment

I have purple Moldovan, Solent Wight and Early Purple Wight (planted straight out 6th Oct) and they have all doing brilliantly (6" +) and very strong looking. The first month I kept them under clear plastic. So I guess it depends when you planted them?

Comment

i planted them on 1st March so i'm only a little worried about them having rotted.
            it was really just the marked difference in the ones inside flying up.

the idea of single huge bulbs of garlic is making me VERY intrigued though - I kind of hope that HAS happened!!!
            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Give them a chance - they've only been in the ground for 12 days!!! Mine were planted outside in October / November and the top growth is about 8" high. I would say that the garlic in your conservatory is being over-pampered and you may be getting all top growth. Garlic ideally needs frost to help the bulbs develop, hence the planting late in the year. It's always worked for me.
              Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Gwyndy View Post
                Give them a chance - they've only been in the ground for 12 days!!! Mine were planted outside in October / November and the top growth is about 8" high. I would say that the garlic in your conservatory is being over-pampered and you may be getting all top growth. Garlic ideally needs frost to help the bulbs develop, hence the planting late in the year. It's always worked for me.
                i didn't think that was the case for spring planting garlic - my variety is Sultop
                ??
                Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

If you only planted the garlic on 1st March they've hardly had time to come up. Be patient - they'll be along. You don't need to take up conservatory space with garlic - I think it would be much happier outdoors.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
                    If you only planted the garlic on 1st March they've hardly had time to come up. Be patient - they'll be along. You don't need to take up conservatory space with garlic - I think it would be much happier outdoors.
                    has anyone else grown spring planting garlic?
                    i've got a whole load outside, but just wondered what the experience was

the one inside is planted with carrots - paris market
                    Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Planted about 35 cloves from 2 Solent Wight bulbs about 3 weeks ago straight into the allotment and they are going really well. Have covered them over to stop the birds pulling up the cloves but don't think we even did that last year. Still about 20 bulbs of garlic that we dried from last year's crop.

Comment

the garlic outside has today started to show itself and mighty sturdy it is looking too!
                        so pleased!
                        the indoor pot is now indoors in my little greenhouse after an incident with a Boy and a T-Shirt
                        Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Patience grasshopper
                          WPC F Hobbit, Shire police

Comment

patience does indeed bring with it dividends, does it not
                            i felt so happy to see those shoots today!
                            so happy
                            spent most of the day outside we did
                            Iamhanuman

Independent Minds

Comment

Originally posted by Iamhanuman View Post
                              i didn't think that was the case for spring planting garlic - my variety is Sultop
                              ??
                              I haven't grown this variety so I can't comment. I always plant in late autumn. Some good advice at How to Grow the Garlic herb. and check out The Garlic Farm as well at The Garlic Farm for all things garlic
                              Gardening is a matter of your enthusiasm holding up until your back gets used to it.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X