Planting blueberries

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planting blueberries

A quick question is I may please. I understand blueberries like an acid soil and I am about to plant some out from pots into the ground. In the absence of ericaceous compost, would using a mix of 1.5 year old leaf mulch and home made compost suffice to plant into?
    A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
    There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

I just asked the same question about a month and a half ago.. there is a thread around here some where on it.

Basic suggestions seemed to include lots of pine needles, coffee grounds, etc. Things that are naturally acidic. Seems they'll do okay in multipurpose, but perform best in acidic.. so it might be worth taking the effort. I have most of a 30L bag of Ericaceous Compost left if you happen to be in the Richmond area anytime soon.

Comment

Does anyone have any knowledge about the acidity of leaf mould and home made compost though?
      A bad days fishing is still better than a good day at work!
      There is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing.

Comment

Originally posted by brooklynodog View Post
        Does anyone have any knowledge about the acidity of leaf mould and home made compost though?
        No - but you could get a soil ph test kit. I think they are quite cheap.

Comment

Look in thee growing techniques board, there is a thread on blueberries.

The soil does need to be quite acidic and I expect the leamould and compost to be nowhere near acid enough.

Comment

I suppose you could make a small compost area- and put coffee grounds ,pine needles and citrus peel in it- as well as pine shavings from bunnies/guinea pigs/stables.
            Adding sulphur and ericaceous compost would help it along- but remember it will leach out from the area around the plant- so remember to mulch.

I think 5.5pH is optimum for blueberries? Making your own compost won't hit those levels of acidity I'm sure
            They'll still grow and fruit at more alkaline levels- so don't worry too much.
            "Nicos, Queen of Gooooogle" and... GYO's own Miss Marple

Location....Normandy France

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X