Earthing up carrots?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Earthing up carrots?

Read in a gardening magazine that you should earth up carrots. I didn't do this last year. Is it something I should be doing? What do peeps think?
    AKA Angie

Carrots tend to push themselves up out of the ground a bit and you get green tops. Earthing them up a bit just prevents the green tops so its up to yourself Selfraising.

From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs.

Comment

Originally posted by Alice View Post
      Carrots tend to push themselves up out of the ground a bit and you get green tops. Earthing them up a bit just prevents the green tops so its up to yourself Selfraising.
      So they are, in fact, selfraising
      Consider the daffodil. And while you're doing that, I'll be over
      here, looking through your stuff.

http://mustardveggie.blogspot.com/

Comment

I give mine a cut grass mulch from the lawn clippings, the grass smell is supposed to help deter carrot fly, need to keep an eye out on a windy day

Comment

Does earthing up help carrot fly as well?
          AKA Angie

Comment

Bit to early in the season for carrot root fly. If you earth up don't over do it you only want to cover the shoulder of the carrot.

Ian

Comment

When i worked on a market garden many year's ago we used to grow about 20 acre's of carrots and the only one's we earthed up were the one's we used to leave in the ground over winter to protect them from the frost .
              So if you are not leaving them in the ground through the winter there is no need .
              Carrot fly never used to bother them i had not heard of it until about 20 year's ago....jacob
              What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
              Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

I was told by the Garden Organic tutor that earthing up carrots does indeed protect from carrot fly. I have yet to trial this method.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X