Blueberries and Strawberries?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blueberries and Strawberries?

Just planted my two young blueberry bushes into their new bed. I know they like very acid soil so they are in mostly ericateous compost with a few mole hills and leaf mould thrown in. I intend to mulch with composted pine needles.
    Will this mix be too acid for strawbs or will they appreciate it?. The bed is looking rather underused and I have some strawberry plants looking for a home. If not strawbs, then what could I underplant with?
    Last edited by Creemteez; 05-03-2009, 05:48 PM.
    When the Devil gives you Cowpats - make Satanic Compost!

Not sure about Stawberrys in ericaceous soil, they do like some acidity and can be mulched with pine needles too though. I know a lot of people under plant their Blueberries with cranberries (see link below), they like the same conditions and form a low mat covering the ground.

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...rry_23672.html
    http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Thanks Jenegade, I'm not sure where I could lay my hands on cranberry plants at the moment, so I think I'll risk it and bung my strawbs in. I can always shift em next season, and they can't do much worse than they did las t year when they were stuck in their pots... Can they?..

Comment

You can buy the Cranberry plants by mail order from T & M and Suttons etc., would have thought some garden centres would have them too.

Cranberry Pilgrim Bush at Marshalls Seeds

Cranberry (Fruit)

Don't think it would be that bad for Strawberry plants though, if they don't fruit well then move them next year like you said! Good luck!

(just had a quick internet search and basically strawberries like acidic/ slightly acidic soil and the fruit apparently tastes better for it!)
        http://jenegademaster.blogspot.com/

Comment

Cool! It'll be interesting to see how they do!

Comment

Or how about bilberries?

Bilberry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
            to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Originally posted by Snadger View Post
              Hmm, the possibilities seem endless! I have planted my strawbs now, and the bed is only 3.5'X 5' so I think it'd be a bit cramped with anything else. However, next year.....

Comment

I bought a cranberry plant at Wilko's, can't remember if it was £2 or £3 but it seemed worth a shot. Bought a yellow raspberry for £3 as well.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                Working...
                X