Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• potatoes - first attempt

Hi all,
    I have first earlies, second earlies and main crop seed potatoes, which i intend to grow in potato bags from the DIY store. I will aim to plant the first earlies about mid March, but the question is - as our late frosts are likely to end of April, should I keep the planted bags in our covered alleyway until the risk of frost has passed? It gets good light, has a roof and a door at each end, so not heated like the house, but should be protection if required??
    Any advice welcome, as its the first attempt at potatoes....

Whereabouts are you, novicegrower? (Tip - put your town or county in your profile!) Around our way we can get frosts as late as early May, but that's never been a problem with spuds. As long as you keep earthing them up so that the foliage isn't too exposed, they should be fine.

There's a great thread here by our resident potato pro, with all the info you could ever want:

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ers_28513.html

Comment

thanks for that, will take a look at the link, Have now amended profile as suggested,

Comment

It's the foliage that gets knocked back with a frost. As long as the tubers are tucked up safely in the soil - and you keep earthing them up as they appear, you should be fine.
        Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Will that still apply to spuds that are in PVC potato planters.

Comment

this is very helpful, thanks. I think I'm getting the idea now!

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X