Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Day of the Trifids AKA Jerusalem Artichokes!!!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day of the Trifids AKA Jerusalem Artichokes!!!

Hello grapes, I haven't been on for a long while but OH MY GOSH; I grew five JA tubers in my husbands rockery last year and what with getting wed and all I have only got round to digging them up - ARGH - they're everywhere

I must have picked about 2-3kg from one plant (I planted five initially)...oh gosh he's going to feed me to the slugs.

I know I'm going to have to dig up every one if possible but if they do start sprouting again come spring, which I'm SURE they will, what is the best way to element the little 'bleeps' (whilst trying to pretend to beloved that his rockery is not completely based upon an underground mountain of Jerusalem artichoke tuber)???

Help!
    RtB x

Someone on our lottie offered a couple of us some of his JAs we laughed at him and told him we would rather have mares tail at least we would have a chance of getting rid of that.

Comment

All you can do is keep digging them up.
      Rat

British by birth
      Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
      http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

Do they grow ok in pots? I've been offered a couple that I'd like to take but I don't want it to be a problem anywhere
        My girls found their way into my heart and now they nest there

Comment

Originally posted by MaureenHall View Post
          Do they grow ok in pots? I've been offered a couple that I'd like to take but I don't want it to be a problem anywhere
          Need a big pot but it can be done - Iona grow some in an old compost bag last year - grow them in bags or large pots as you would potatoes, though without the earthing up .
          Rat

British by birth
          Scottish by the Grace of God

http://scotsburngarden.blogspot.com/
          http://davethegardener.blogspot.com/

Comment

I've moved mine to the lottie - spent 2 seasons removing them from the garden though! And I won't know till about May if I've really succeeded yet! However, I love them. Greatest soup in the world (if you like it!)
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
              I've moved mine to the lottie - spent 2 seasons removing them from the garden though! And I won't know till about May if I've really succeeded yet! However, I love them. Greatest soup in the world (if you like it!)
              Do you have a recipe Flum?
              I'm ashamed to say I have never tried them.
              Think I might have a go at cooking some from the greengrocer see if we like them, then have a go at growing the.m this year.
              What's the latest they can go in?
              Imagination is everything, it is a preview of what is to become.

Comment

I should start an 'I love JAs club! I really do love 'em, they make good wind breaks (!)

they have nice flowers on

the produce is lovely to eat and can be eaten in soooo many ways (recipe behind picture)

that's a lot going for a little ole plant
                aka
                Suzie

Comment

Ah thanks everyone you've brought a bit of love back to the Jerusalem artichoke I admitted to the husband that we got nearly 3kg from one plant and he was chuffed and suggested we start trading with our neighbours!! In the meantime I made a lovely potato and JA gratin which was delicious bearing in mind I had never tasted a JA before!!

I'm now going to have to make batches of soup though as that seems to use a load and dig up the plants if and when they become invasive.
                  RtB x

Comment

Originally posted by Flummery View Post
                    Hi there - do you have a good recipe for the greatest soup in the world?
                    RtB x

Comment

Definatly triffids see previous posts below.

Still trying to dig mine out, the little bighters seem to like growing under the low wall next to the border.

Saying that they did give a good crop.

Just wondering who else I can inflict them on !

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...ing_26434.html

http://www.growfruitandveg.co.uk/gra...oke_21063.html
                      Expect the worst in life and you will probably have under estimated!

Comment

My downstairs neighbour, a Turkish tailor, was delighted when I gave him a bag the other day. He told me that back home in Anatolia, when he was a boy he used to sneak into gardens to steal the JAs as they were very popular raw - he said they were like apples. They think of them as fruit, not vegetables.
                        So if you can just put up large prominent signs saying, "Small Boys Keep Off - No Scrumping Underground Apples !!"....
                        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X