Rhubarb in a pot

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rhubarb in a pot

I want to grow rhubarb in a pot. I've bought a crown pot in a small from the GC.
    What size tub/pot do I need for it?
    Thanks
    Last edited by greysquirrel; 26-02-2009, 03:13 PM.

As big as you can get. Really, one of those big shrub tub type of things. Even though the crown is small, it will grow and rhubarb is a gross feeder. It will 'eat' all the compost or well rotted manure you can throw at it. You'll also need to make sure it doesn't go short of water.

Good luck with it. I know there are people on here who grow it quite succesfully in pots.
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

I bought 3, 1 year old crowns recently from brandycarrnurseries.co.uk who were very helpful folks. Cant remember what size pots i put them in now, i think it was 3 or 5 but i'll check later when i get home. 2 of them have started producing leaves too

Comment

Bought a crown yesterday as well as a pot from B & Q. I think it was 55cm. It cost £8 so was a big one. Anyway, it has taken about 70-80 litres of manure, soil and compost to fill it so I hope the rhubarb likes its new home!! Good luck with it .

Comment

Never tried it......... but with the amount of leaf area it has and allowing for evaporation and osmosis to occur, in a hot summer.................... I doubt you could stop it from wilting!

In my opinion you will never get as good a crop as rhubarb grown in the soil!
          My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
          to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Growing mine in a pot in the hope that I can get a lottie soooooooon. Waiting lists are sooo frustrating.
            http://herbie-veggiepatch.blogspot.com

Updated 23rd February 2009

Comment

Hi
              I got some rhubarb crowns for my birthday and no prepared ground to put them in so they had to stay in pots for a year. I used 50 litre pots and the watering... drove me mad. So glad they are in the ground now.
              Sue

Comment

Couple of pics i took this morning. These are the biggest pots i could get at the time as they arrived while we were snowed in! 25cm across, so i may need something bigger , will have a look when im out and about this weekend.
                Attached Files

Comment

The biggest pot you can get.......make sure you make some drainage holes for it, I obtained a massive black pot from our local builders yard, it has handles on it and our rhubarb is in there, also stops the slugs.....touch wood has done so far
                  Dont worry about tomorrow, live for today

Comment

Ive got mine growing in 3 * 50L plastic bag pots i planted in october, 3 crowns in each though, one its growing well i will change to bigger pots this year , so far i have 3 stalks on each crown in one pot and about 10 or so stalks about to grow in the other 2 pots.

I also have some growing in pots i bought last year on ebay in 10L and 5L pots on ebay, they have now one stalk each, im about to put them in larger pots as i presume they have outgrown the pot due to growing stalks last year the compost is finished, even though i have fertilised them heavily

B&Q today have some growing in pots , 3 to 5 stalks, some about a foot long, in 10L (i think) pots for £3.99, the crowns were close to the same price without pot and compost, i got a few of these as well ( i am determined to have rhubarb) just repotting them to larger pot or stuffing them in the ground needed, i got a few of these today as they looked very healthy for B&Q

I figure one or two stalks off each plant this year wont hurt the plants and it will go in very large pots next year
                    Last edited by starloc; 28-02-2009, 08:17 PM.
                    Living off grid and growing my own food in Bulgaria.....

Comment

B&Q are doing rhubarb crowns for 2.98 for anyone who might be interested?
                      Serene she stand amid the flowers,
                      And only count lifes sunny hours,
                      For her dull days do not exist,
                      Evermore the optimist

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X