Runner beans

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Runner beans

Hi I hope someone can help, can runner beans be grown in grow bags or do they need to be planted direct into the soil (never grown veg before)

Welcome to the Vine DavidMS

Runner beans can be grown in grow-bags or containers, however, they are a very greedy crop and you would need to be prepared to water them and feed them, a lot!! If you can plant them into the ground they would be a lot easier to care for and possibly have higher yields.

Comment

Thanks Sarah, I have to get out the spade and fork out of the shed after all then (only joking)

Comment

Runner beans are great in large pots.. I had a very good crop last year. I think a grow bag would dry out too quickly and wouldn't be deep enough for their liking.. if you want to go with containers the large plastic ones from a pound shop or garden center work fine. Obviously they'll take more watering than those grown in the ground.. all depends on if you have the space or not.

Comment

You could also try runner bean Hestia which is a compact variety. I have grown this for the last 3 years and it is a good cropper.
          AKA Angie

Comment

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies I have a hundred foot back garden all set to lawn so I'll be digging some of it up to grow veggies

David

Comment

Grass is sooo boring, I had to put up with it when the kids were small, but I hated cutting it, fruit, veg and flowers are much better . Runner beans are very attractive, and you can use them as a screen between your remaining lawn and the veg plot.
              I could not live without a garden, it is my place to unwind and recover, to marvel at the power of all growing things, even weeds!
              Now a little Shrinking Violet.

http://potagerplot.blogspot.com/

Comment

Hi
                i grew runner beans in troughs last year but they needed lots of watering. I'm going for hestia this year so that i can plant them in my borders. I'm moving the hosta out and into the troughs in the shade to make room.

Claire

Comment

With a 30 foot front lawn and the one at the back all we seem to do is cut grass try composting that lot!!! I'm begining to hate grass.

Comment

I have a similar question, so I will ask it here rather than starting a new thread. I was thinking of putting some runner beans in a fairly big container to grow as well. It would be right up beside a laurel hedge. My question is, do you think the runner beans would climb up the hedge or do I still need put poles in?

Comment

I think you'd still need to put canes in - runners climb by twining the whole stem round the pole, rather than grabbing with tendrils like peas do.

Comment

Poles would be a good idea against a hedge - laurel is an evergreen, I think, so it wouldn't be a suitable support by itself. I've used lengths of taut string when growing runner beans by a fence!

Originally posted by DavidMS View Post
                        Thanks all for the replies I have a hundred foot back garden all set to lawn so I'll be digging some of it up to grow veggies
                        Good idea, David - we now only have a bit of lawn where I hang up my laundry, and the chickens help to keep that under control. I sold our lawn mower, and the battery-powered strimmer is only used on the allotment (our neighbour mows our front lawn for us whenever he does his own, as they are all very small and "open plan").
                        Last edited by Eyren; 24-02-2009, 06:52 AM.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X