Growing potatoes for christmas

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Growing potatoes for christmas

I have brought some 2nd early potatoes (charlotte, nicola and wilja) and just wondered if i left them in the fridge until augist when the christmas spuds should be planted out if they will be any good to plant out any1 got any ideas or tryed this?
    Visit my blog at: marksallotment20162017.wordpress.com

Aaaarrrgghghhhh!!
    Christmas! - it's February!

You can buy seed spuds for Christmas harvest nearer the time. They should be grown in containers away from any frost. You can keep them, or you can grow them and plant their babies!! 1st earlies would be best - as the days get shorter, things grow more slowly. The shorter the growing time the better.

Please don't mention the 'C' word again before Autumn!!!!
    Tx

Comment

Originally posted by MarkHackwell View Post
      I have brought some 2nd early potatoes (charlotte, nicola and wilja) and just wondered if i left them in the fridge until augist when the christmas spuds should be planted out if they will be any good to plant out any1 got any ideas or tryed this?
      This is suposed to work because the seed stay dormant whilst in the fridge good luck....jacob
      What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
      Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Mmm, I wonder, if you bought two lots of garlic, planted one now and kept one in the fridge with your seed potatoes, could you plant the fridge garlic after eating your Christmas potatoes on Christmas Day ? And would it still grow ?
        Regardless of that, you should manage another generation of some first early potatoes between now and when you want to plant those varieties.
        BTW...Merry Christmas Tootles !
        There's no point reading history if you don't use the lessons it teaches.

Head-hunted member of the Nutter's Club - can I get my cranium back please ?

Comment

i bought from dobbies last year 3kg of seed spuds, that were kept cold i planted them in aug and was still pulling them past xmas but they were not cheap.

Comment

It's easier (and cheaper!) to save the last of those you harvest, keep those in the fridge - for a much shorter time - and plant THEM in August for your (*word deleted*) potatoes!
            Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
            Working...
            X