Long carrots!

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Long carrots!

I've got hold of a discarded vegetable oil drum from a friendly restaurant - about 20 inches high and 14 inches across.

My plan is to fill it with lovely sifted compost for growing beautiful long straight carrots.

Can anyone recommend a particular variety of carrot that would be suitable.

From a soil point of view - would a mix of potting compost and sand do the job?

Thanks

Jimmer

I filled my 'carrot trough' with a mix of multi-purpose/topsoil/sand. (Large Multi-Purpose-to-std bag topsoil-to-small bag silver sand.) The carrots loved it, long straight roots, clean when pulled. At a Medwyn Williams talk, he approved the mixture, so thats good enough for me
    If you want show quality roots, it'd be worth looking on Medwyn Williams website and see what varieties of carrots he recommends/sells?

Comment

[quote=SarzWix;378193
      ........................If you want show quality roots, it'd be worth looking on Medwyn Williams website and see what varieties of carrots he recommends/sells?[/quote]

Or if you hust want a decent carrot for eating and storing Autumn King carrot seed will be a lot cheaper (especially at Netto's where they are 19p a packet!)

btw ..........Although 20 inches may sound deep, this will not allow you to grow the long pointy show carrots which require a lot more depth!
      My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
      Working...
      X