Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Basil grow......... indoor/outdoor

Greetings.........

I was rounding the cape of good hope and i had some shore leave.. ( well i am the captain)

I decided to germinate the "siam queen" BASIL seeds and grow them under 35 watts 4 feet long tube lights, that i bought really cheap from a light fitting shop in my hometown...

Basil - Siam Queen (Thai) is a beautiful form of basil that grows about 2 1/2 feet high and around. The scent and taste are different from sweet basil with more licorice flavor. Thai basil is used in all types of Thai cooking as well as other Asian and middle eastern cultures. It has large flowers that form in a cluster as opposed to the long spikes on the other basils. One of the most beautiful and delicious basil varieties.

A very fragrant selection and distinct improvement over other Thai Basils. Extra large leaf size and large plants mean more of that intense liquorice fragrance. The bright green leaves make an attractive foil for the purple-red stems which bear violet-pink flowers. Superb as a container plant on the patio where you can smell its aroma. Excellent for bedding edging and the vegetable or flower garden. Height 20-30cm (8-12in).

i germinated them in a green tray i had some potting soil left over from this season, so i thought i give it ago.. You get 300 seeds in a packet, so i only started of around a dozen just casually scattered them on the tray and then put an inch of top soil on top, watered them well and i left them on the windowsill.

within 3 days ALL germinated ( really impressed)

kept around 8 seedlings and culled the rest

potted on in 3inch seed pots

ok so all 8 are under the 35 watt tube light, really close to the light maybe an inch away, obviously ill have to adjust for the plants growing...

i left this one on the windosill and it purpled around the edges, ( left the window a`jar by mistake)

doing great under the lights

Comment

i gave them a weak solution of miracle grow ( just for a laugh) they are really taking off now, i have the lights on for only 5 hours per day set on a timer

Comment

looking like small plants now.. and they reek of peppermint and liquorish with a hint of aniseed

Comment

i pinched out the centre growing tip, this will encourage it to bush out a bit.. i have done this before on chilli plants and it does definitely work

4 days later after i pinched out the centre growing tip, i have noticed 2 set of leaves appearing. already bushing out

Last edited by muslimgrower; 19-02-2009, 04:22 PM.

Comment

it's crazy who can possibly grow 300 basil seeds?! I have 3 in my little pot and will do 3 more every few weeks.

Great germination rate in 3 days, mine took about 6 but on the windowsill with clingfilm on as propagator was full

Comment

pic of the 4 foot tube light.. i screwed some old skirting board i had spare to it. like a ballast

Comment

i just use things around the house to keep the seedlings close to the light as possible, dont want any to stretch for the light and get lanky..

they grew a nice healthy root ball, and today i re potted them all in bigger containers, the plan is to harvest some soon, and then take the pots outdoors maybe in mid may, and have an outdoor basil grow aswell

and they smell awesome, i was watering the plants in the sink and i could just smell them, really powerful and the leafs are really wide and thick....
                Last edited by muslimgrower; 19-02-2009, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999
                  Have you thought about having a blog???
                  oops sorry.. have i put this thread in wrong section !!?

Comment

nope - I just thought that having a blog would be a good way to showcase all your lovely piccies.

Comment

Originally posted by zazen999 View Post
                      nope - I just thought that having a blog would be a good way to showcase all your lovely piccies.
                      yeah thanks...

ill do that in the future with my "how to germinate a coconut" blog

Comment

Ooops I never thinned out my basil seedlings last year, was I supposed to?
                        AKA Angie

Comment

There's nothing that says 'summer's here' than the smell of tomato and basil together. Mix it with a little olive oil, salt, pepper and server with fresh mozarella and crispy bread.

Hmmmmm

Comment

My basil have come through today, but I never thin it out they just go in a pot together. I also have some outdoors from last year that is starting to regrow.

Comment

Originally posted by selfraising View Post
                              Ooops I never thinned out my basil seedlings last year, was I supposed to?
                              each seedling will grow into a bushy 2 foot plant. so they will compete for root space and moisture, if there isn't enough room, they grow stunted and not to there full potential....

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X