Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Glut of cooking apples

Hi all

I have a glut of cooking apples at the moment and was thinking of making a spiced chutney. I was wondering if anyone has a recipe they have had some sucess with previously.

Thanks all

Drdoug

I've not made chutney with my apples, but have cooked them as if for apple crumble/pie and frozen them...

Hopefully it means I have a fairly quick dessert if someone comes round, or else everyone is getting apple pies at Christmas....

Comment

Here you are drdoug!

Apple Chutney

4ld cooking apples
      1 pint vinegar
      2 - 3 gloves garlic
      11/2 lb brown sugar
      4oz chystallised ginger or 2 level teaspoons ground ginger
      1/2 level teaspn mixed spice
      Cayenne pepper, a good pinch
      1/2 level teaspn salt

Peel core and chop the applesand cook with 1/2 pint of the vinegar and the garlic, crushed, until thick and pulpy. Add all the other ingredients and cook for a further 20 mins or until thick. Pot and cover

Mine tasted good and hot when newly made, am leaving it to mature. Should be good
      Gardening requires a lot of water - most of it in the form of perspiration. Lou Erickson, critic and poet

Comment

or make cider, yum.
        Yo an' Bob
        Walk lightly on the earth
        take only what you need
        give all you can
        and your produce will be bountifull

Comment

Apple jelly with a variety of different herbs or spices would be my choice.

Comment

HI all,

sorry for the very late response.

I decided to make an apple chutney with the glut of cooking apples I had.

The recipe I used was as below and was great. Have just made a second, larger, batch tonight. I replaced the malt vinegar with Cider vinegar and it great.

Indian Apple Chutney
            1 lb cooking apples
            1 lb onion, chopped
            2 garlic cloves, crushed .
            3/4 c golden raisins
            2 tsp. salt
            1 1/2 cup sugar
            2 1/2 cup malt vinegar
            1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
            1/4 tsp. ground cumin
            1/4 tsp. ground ginger
            1 tsp. mustard seeds
            1/4 tsp. dry mustard
            1 tb tomato paste

1. Peel, core and coarsely chop apples.
            2. Put apples, onions, garlic and raisins into a saucepan. Add salt, sugar, vinegar and spices and mix well. Heat gently, stirring to dissolve sugar.
            3. Bring to a boil and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally. Stir in tomato paste and continue cooking 7-8 minutes longer or until mixture is of a thick consistency with very little free liquid, stirring frequently. Meanwhile, wash 3 pint jars in hot soapy water; rinse. Keep hot until needed.
            4. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs. Ladle chutney into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4" headspace. Release trapped air. Wipe rim of jar with a clean damp cloth. Attach lid and place in canner. Fill and close remaining jars.
            5. Process 10 minutes in a boiling-water bath.
            NOTE: This chutney improves if stored at least 3 weeks before serving. Garnish with an Italian parsley sprig, if desired, and serve as an accompaniment to curries or with crusty bread and cheese. Makes about 3 pint jars.

Cheers all

Comment

Mmm, both those chutney recipies sound great, just have to hope we get more of a harvest this year than we did last! (7 cooking apples off of our tree, but then again it's only about 6' tall and is still establishing itself, so I cant really complain!)
              Blessings
              Suzanne (aka Mrs Dobby)

'Garden naked - get some colour in your cheeks'!

The Dobby's Pumpkin Patch - an Allotment & Beekeeping blogspot!
              Last updated 16th April - Video intro to our very messy allotment!
              Dobby's Dog's - a Doggy Blog of pics n posts - RIP Bella gone but never forgotten xx
              On Dark Ravens Wing - a pagan blog of musings and experiences

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
              Working...
              X