Beans and Artichokes..wadya think?

Collapse

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Beans and Artichokes..wadya think?

Just bean digging some of my artichokes up that were planted to screen the chicken run. They grew to 10 foot high and screened it too well stopping the light from getting to chooks, soooooooooo..............

As I have nowhere else to plant them, howsabout I plant them down the centre of my runner bean trench? That way the artichokes can grow up the middle, nourished by the rotting vegetables placed in there, and I can plant the runners/butter beans along the outsides as usual! The support for JA's will be already in position and the runners can use them as added support as well as the canes placed along each side of trench!

Am I mad!!!!!!!!!
    My Majesty made for him a garden anew in order
    to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Well it's worth a try! I tend to use them at one side of the plot where they don't shade stuff, but you might as well make use of the poles!
    Whoever plants a garden believes in the future.

www.vegheaven.blogspot.com Updated March 9th - Spring

Comment

Bit like three little sisters.........only there's two of em..........and one aint a cucurbit and one isn't sweetcorn....................actually nothing like the three little sisters!
      to present to him vegetables and all beautiful flowers.- Offerings of Thutmose III to Amon-Ra (1500 BCE)

Diversify & prosper

Comment

it sound's like a good idea to me but if they grow 10 ft high and the bean's get to the top have you got a big box to stand on to pick them....jacob
        What lies behind us,And what lies before us,Are tiny matters compared to what lies Within us ...
        Ralph Waide Emmerson

Comment

Originally posted by jacob marley View Post
          it sound's like a good idea to me but if they grow 10 ft high and the bean's get to the top have you got a big box to stand on to pick them....jacob
          I'll just borrow Wayne for the day!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Sounds a good idea. My only question is how are your beans aligned, if it is north south then I think it will work but not on an east west alignment as you would be creating to much shade for the row of beans on the north side of the row, if you get what I mean.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by gojiberry View Post
              Sounds a good idea. My only question is how are your beans aligned, if it is north south then I think it will work but not on an east west alignment as you would be creating to much shade for the row of beans on the north side of the row, if you get what I mean.

Ian
              Yep, roughly north/south and on the last bed on one side of my plot so no shade on other plants. It's actually worked out quite well because I have clubroot and onion white rot in this bed.............so what better place to set up a permanent legume area!

Diversify & prosper

Comment

Artichokes and beans?...........a sort of one man greenhouse effect, then. Actually I'd try it, it sounds more realistic then the three sisters where the sweetcorn tends to get swamped by the beans.
                Into each life some rain must fall........but this is getting ridiculous.

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

Latest Topics

Collapse

Recent Blog Posts

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X